Help Me Decide....Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrblawncare, Aug 27, 2001.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I will be adding my first Aerator to my business within the next week or so,I'am having a hard time decidings on a walk behide or tow behind.....I know the beifits of both..... just not sure where I should put money.I like the Classens both walk and tow.Also looking at Millcreek tow behinds...I have an open hydraulic line on my JD 318 which would be handy going from travel mode to coring mode.Does anyone use Millcreek?What would you decide on for your first Aerator...walk or tow?Thanks guys.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This depends a lot on the size of your lawns that you aerate which one is best. You can also put a 3 point hitch on your 318. I had one on my 332 which is the diesel model of the 318, but when I traded it in for the 430, I took it off and put it on the 430. It is easy to put on if you can still get one for it. I've had great luck with my Lesco/Classen tow behind, but I do mostly big lawns. This model will work on the 3 point hitch or it comes with a tongue to tow it. I have done small lawns with it also, so it can be used for both big or small.

3. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I will be focusing on 1/2 acre to 1 acre + lots,thats not to say I will not do smaller ones.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Our Lesco dealer told me to try the one I got out for a day or two and see how I liked it. If I didn't like it, bring it back for a full refund. See if you can try out both of them and see which you like best. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

5. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

I have been looking at the Lesco/Classen tow behind unit. For those of you that are using a ZTR to tow the unit, how much stress or drag do you feel is being placed on the ZTR? Have you had any problems etc?