1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Help me decide on another tandem axle trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dirty Water, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm looking for a 10,000+ GVW trailer to pull 4 ton excavator and some buckets:

What do you think of these three:

http://www.trucktraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/4/0/3/85070203.htm

This Iron Eagle is the cheapest, and I really don't like the flip up jack, but the self storing ramps is pretty nice.

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/8/0/85063880.htm

This BigTex appears to be the nicest of the bunch, but its also the most expensive. I really like the tilt deck. Though its only a 16'.

I've heard mixed opinions about Big Tex.

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/3/7/83923637.htm

Iv'e never heard of Kearney, but it appears to be a really solid trailer. I like the pintle hitch option, and the price seems great for what you get. Its also a few feet longer than the others.

So, for you guys who have bought lots of trailers, am I close to good products? Are these guys a waste of money?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Jon, I'm going to be in the same boat as you in the next year or so but if I were buying right now I think I'd go the the Big Tex but I'd see if I could be the same model only with a pintle ring. The last trailer looks like it could be used as a regular mower hauler with the installation of a ramp gate. Good luck.

Rob

3. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that 10k is a little small for what your doing. go 12k or more but....cdl?

4. Dirty Water

cdl is not a problem.

5. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

i like the tilt trailer myself,but as you say its more pricey.what truck are you looking to tow this with?

other than the mini what buckets are you looking at?,24'' and a ditching i would flip one bucket into the other during transport.

6. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I'd vote for the bigtex although not necessarly that model.

You can get a standard equipment trailer from them for about $3200.

(10k gvw, 16ft, 2ft beavertail, brakes on both axles, heavy duty ramps. etc)

I have that trailer and I talked my local dealer down to $2900 from $3200 about 6 months ago.

Good luck.

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know about everyone else, but I would try to avoid a wood deck as much as possible just because there is a lot more involved mantaining it. I would look for a steel deck IMO, but it weighs more and costs more. Saves you the hassle in the end.

8. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

9. Dirty Water

Jazak, what exactly is the difference between a small tag trailer, and the ones I was looking at?

10. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Those sit lower to the ground and aren't made out of the same steel, tires, ext.