Help me decide

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Axl, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I currently am debating between a 99' f350 dump truck and a dump trailer. The Dump Truck has 56k(7.3Diesel) comes with 9ft BOSS straight blade and Truckcraft tailgate spreader. It has a cracked oil pan and the dump bed needs to be painted. Selling Price $9,000

Would be using TRAILER for mulch, dirt, spoils loaded w/wheel barrow which is important because I do not own a skid to load the dump truck, hardscape materials, fall clean ups but have to run two trucks, equipment

Truck would be nice cause i could build leaf box on bed and haul lawn trailer, use for plowing & salting in winter, haul dirt, materials, mulch, but its a pain in the ass for sod tear outs & spoils cause we have to load by hand
  2. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

well if all it needs is a oil pan and some paint on the box I would buy it quick I think that is a good buy and you get the bullet prof 7.3. You will love that 9' boss plow my buddy has one on his dodge 5500 in the winter and that will push alot of snow!
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Will the f350 give you the payload capacity that your looking for? Normally they have an 11000 gvw on them. A 6x10 dump trailer with a 10000gvw has about 7500lbs of payload and can be pulled by a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. A 350 dump truck won't give you quite that much payload. The price on the truck sounds damn good though but I would have a mechanic check it out just to be sure!
  4. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

To replace the oil pan on the 7.3 you must pull the motor out of the truck, best case 1500 bucks. but after that you are good to go. Check the fuel tank, if its a 40 g tank behind the rear axle , they are prone to delaminate so that would need to be replaced also , 600 bucks.
  5. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

Pics? Sounds like a good deal to me, but if it's had a spreader in it for any length of time, you will want to make sure it has been washed and maintained regularly as far as rust prevention. I bought a 93 F250 with 30K in 2006 that had been a salt/plow truck it's whole life. Brake lines, spring mounts, cross members, anything that could rust would. The weird thing is that the body wasn't in that bad of shape, but the underside was rough. Just something to check on, the oil pan made me think, cuz mine was rusted through so that may be what the deal is with that one you're looking at. Even if you have to put a few grand into it, still sounds like a good deal. I've got 212K on my 96 powerstroke, work it everyday, you should like it.
  6. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys, keep em comin
  7. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Dump trailer is gunna be parked in the winter. Dump truck with plow can still make you money....
  8. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

anymore suggestions/thoughts???