1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help me, Done with Dixie!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chipk1, Mar 23, 2007.

1. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Ok guys, I need a 50" ZTR that is reliable and mows/mulches well. Budget is 8-10K. Anything but a Dixie. I have had a very bad experience with thier X2503 and need to get something more reliable. Downtime is killing me.
  2. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

demo a grasshopper or hustler; i too had a bad experince with a dixie; try a 52 grasshopper or nrw 54 hustler; the hopper is the most comfortable mower we demoed; not as fast as hustler but gives a good cut
  3. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Hey Hustler has spring promos going on now until May. Go on their forum on here and it lists the discounts on the different mowers. I got 600.00 off a Mini Z check it out!!
  4. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

check out Hustler they got a spring promo going nice discounts I got 600.00 off on a mini z. they list the discounts on the forum on this website
  5. chipk1

from Florida

Speed is not that much a factor to me because most of accounts are smaller lots and can't go that fast anyway. Dependability and quality is what I need. On sale is what got me into trouble the first time. My customers can only be expected to tolerate, "I am going to late this week because my mower broke down again", so much. I paid 7500.00 for my Dixie 2 years ago and have had to give that excuse way to much. This is why I need a dependable quality cutting machine.

Hustler, is that who makes the Super Z? I see allot of commercial LCO's use them lately.
  6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Really that scares me. I have that same machine. Do tell please. Outside of a broken belt every 80 hours it has been solid.

It is a little too big for a big tex trailer.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go look at Scag......very very reliable and built heavy in all aspects. Hardly ever hear complaints on Scag reliability on this forum.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Hustler, Toro, Exmark, Grasshopper or a JD would be sweet

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag turf tiger a 52 inch cut 16cc pumps 27 Kohler try one there are several mowers buy what you want the first time.
  10. chipk1

from Florida

Multiple starters
    Multiple Solenoids
    Blown read valve
    2 blown head gaskets
    cracked exhaust manifold
    defective valve lifters
    New shortblock and head
    Broken Deck pedal
    Blows hydraulic fluid like crazy
    broken deck links
    2 deck belts
    3 deck spindles
    Both brake cables
    cracked fuel tank
    replace choke cable

I am sure there is more that I am not recalling at the moment.

Very disappointed, I did allot of research before buying this machine and thought I was getting a good deal. I don't know if I just lemon or what. But I live by the saying, "Fool me once shame on you, Fool me twice and I am an idiot." I will not buy another Dixie. I only use this machine in small to mid sized residentials. It is not like I am pounding the machine for hours on end. 500 hours in 2 years and 4 months is not excessive.

Only 500 hours on machine.

Question about Hustler, who warranties the engine? The engine manufacture or Hustler?