Help me Estimate this job

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Irby Lawn Care, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Irby Lawn Care

Irby Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Hey fellas, I have a customer (who I work with at my full time gig) who I did a cleanup for a few weeks back. She has asked me to do the following (from her email):

There are 3 plants/bushes I do want: 1) rip out the "evergreen", replace with crypt myrtle -- I priced a good sided one at Lowe's (pink) 2) Add another "evergreen" for the other flower bed for west side of house to plant there (will expand bed just a bit to accommodate). AND 3) add another maroon leafed bush to the big bed to balance out.

But first thing is get top soil and use rotor tiller to mixed up the dirt somewhat. Will any dirt have to be removed you think?? Plus expand the second bed with tiller.

After tilling, then get the plants put in, stone edging, barrier and last the mulch. :)

Ok, the bigger bed is about 100 square feet and the smaller bed is maybe 30 square feet, but she wants to expand it, I am guessing around 10 more sq ft. She is insisting on purchasing everything and for me to do the installation. This is my first "install" quote, I usually just do cleanups and lawn care. Still fairly new.

Thanks,
    Will

2. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I made a rule last year that I will not install anything that the customer purchases. I can't warranty it, nor can I make my markup on it.

If you are planning on doing with with their purchases, I suggest that you advise them that you will not warranty it, and that your labor rate for such work is $XX.XX or $XXX.XX and hour.

Will you be purchasing the topsoil and renting the tiller? If so, mark up the topsoil and make sure you charge for the rental equipment. Also charge for your time to go pick up everything etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Abe

3. Irby Lawn Care

Irby Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Having her purchase the goods was not my first choice, however, they are convinced they want to do that...so...

Should I just charge by the hour or should I quote a flat rate? I was thiking I could get this done in a day, day and a half. which would put me at around $700 for the labor, not counting having to rent the tiller. Would that be about right?

4. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

if you can get it done in 12 hours 700.00 is almost 60.00/hr which is a fair rate.