Help Me First time I am going to seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by guven, Aug 16, 2006.

1. guven

guven LawnSite Member

I have 80 feet by 80 feet yard , it needs to be seeding. I am in North Jersey.I would like to use Kentucy Blue grass,
    I already laid 8 cubic yard top soil in the yard, the yard is already have some grass but %75 part of the yard have no grass.
    there are some trees and the yard is shadow half of the day time.
    what should I do. How much seed do I need and I also need some hay
    please could you give me some info what should I do
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

First, have you informed the customer that it will absolutely be their responsibility to do the watering? you must inform them of proper watering procedures otherwise they won't water correctly then come back to you saying, "why didn't my grass grow".
    Secondly, it is still pretty hot out. I would not seed until we start getting cooler temperatures come middle of September.
  3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Tom siad it all. Seeding is nearly futile right now. You may want to try sod or hydroseed.
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait till late september or early october to lay that seed. I did a new lawn last month with seed and the seed never even germinated. Just weeds came up, its too hot.
  5. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Thanks alot all of you. I got it.I have to wait in the middle of the September.
    thanks again
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

You might also consider to aerate the compacted soil before seeding. I would also wait till mid sept or later! JMO
  7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just another word of advice, if you just overseed, all the snow and rain or watever we get will sit on top and get the seed inot the soil and also water it. Come spring time youll be suprised at how well it comes up. Good Luck.

8. guven

guven LawnSite Member

what should I do before spread the seed on the soil. I already known that I have to Aerating and tilling. I just read the some info about seeding they said Planting depth 1/4'' to 1/2'' for blue grass , how can I put the seed in the soil, 1/4'' or 1/2'' depth.
    please say something thanks