Help me fix a little rust

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dschmaus, Nov 5, 2006.

1. dschmaus

dschmaus LawnSite Member

Well I am one step closer getting setup for the Spring. Picked up this f-250 today.. 98 f-250 5.4 4x4 87,000 $7400. Not a steal but a fair price.

My question

There was a "ladder" system mounted on the back of the bed. The system has been taken off and the holes are exposed and obviously rust is forming. My plan is to take off the bed liner and "repair" those spots so the rust doesnt progress.. What are some things I can do to fix these areas.. I was thinking sanding around the hole to bare metal prime and paint..

2nd. Should I get rid of the bed liner and go with something else?

Thanks

Pics

truck2.jpg

truck3.jpg

truck4.jpg

Attached Files:

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Fluid Film will take care of it:laugh:

Just line x it or bed liner.

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd just sand, prime, and Linex it. I am pretty sure Linex will adhere to just primer. Might be something you would want to look into first.

4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was prof. auto body in earlier life time. You dont stop rust it is like cancer. But to deal with it , take a ginder around 26 grit and grind it down, or sandblast. Apply epoxy primer than paint. Or the linex was a good idea then with this option dont fool with painting. If you dont have access to this eq. or have the cap. of spraying epoxy primer take it to an auto body shop prf. a small independednt to save cost. this shouldnt cost that bad. The paint is the real killer in cost. This is one reason i got out of auto repair business and started landscaping, material cost.
    mike

5. dschmaus

dschmaus LawnSite Member

I think I am going to grind it down and prime it then have in Line-x .. Hey I have a welder but have never used it. Could I fill the holes in??

6. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

You could try, but I think it will come out a lot worse than the other option. The hole seems too small to weld a patch or anything over. Then again, I'm not a welder.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Grind, spray, line X...........done