Help me fix my mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenf, Jun 20, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I was cutting a yard and it started to make this horrible noise like I had ran over a stick, almost like the blades were hitting the side of the deck.
    I brought it to this one guy who used to work ata toro lawnmower store and he said it was the spindle bearing.
    My dad and I got down there and took the belt off to spin the pulleys and there wasnt any resistance when we did so. we figured if its on the inside under the deck, we better start taking it apart... well, we couldnt get it off.

Deos this sound like a spindle bearing problem? It only make the noise when the blade is engaged.
  2. landscape guy

landscape guy LawnSite Member

ckeck your deck if the blades are touching the deck any where,if so you may have a bent blade or something.:canadaflag: :drinkup: :usflag:
  3. LawnSite Fanatic

I would say either the spindle or a bent blade. Did you hit anything recently?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are odd instances when a bearing will freeze, but in most cases a bad or worn bearing offers little to no resistance, it spins just fine but it has developed play in it. Of course, if it gets much worse, it could start causing resistance, but don't let it go that far, most still run for some time after play develops, but they need to be replaced.

To check this out, once you get the belt off, be careful but firmly grab each attached blade and see if you can wobble it (like up and down), if there's any play then it is likely a bearing gone bad.

If it's really bad, it could cause the blade to 'wobble' against the deck which could be what you are hearing.
  5. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

there is no play in the blades. there solid in place.
    I did hit this burried log the day it started acting up. It started making the noise about 10 minutes after I hit the log so I was thinking it wasnt that.
    How can you know if a blade is bent?
  6. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the blades off the mower . One way to tell if one is bent is by stacking them together. They should fit together in a stack without looking like one is unlike the others.