Help me fix this lawn issue please...

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by lawncuttinfoo, Apr 30, 2008.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

This Minnesota lawn is always the last to green up.
    The first picture was taken 4/13 in the back yard, you can see it totally matted down.
    The second taken 4/22 in the front yard and you can see the side by side with the neighbors lawn.
    This whole area in the second pic (between the driveway and the neighbors) was sodded last year but it looks exactly the same as the rest of the lawn. (Front and back have looked the same every week.)

Soil test results:
    OM - 9.3%
    Soluble salts - .3 mmhos/cm
    PH - 7.4 (calci 2762 ppm, mag 574 ppm)
    Estimates soil texture- Coarse
    Bray 1 Phosphorus - 24 ppm
    Potassium - 140 ppm

They want to give up and resod the whole back yard, but by the looks of the front, new sod will not help.

What could be the problem? and how should it be fixed?

4-13-08.jpg

4-22-08.jpg

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Is this a new property or one that you have had for a while, if new what were the applications before. Are there any other yard that you have seen that are like this in the area

In the front yard picture, is it the one on the right or the left

What kind of turf KBG? The specific grass would be helpful

The SOM is great, the PH is a little high, aren't your soils normally a little acid, 6.8ish

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I am in Wisco and I see this kind of thing every year. For whatever reason there are spots in various lawns with 'dead looking' areas. [I think maybe grass variety]
    By the time the soil warms up to 50 degrees everything seems fine for the rest of the summer.
    I see alot of points of concern in half my lawns, even now. We are waiting for warm rains and warm weather for more than 3 hours per/week, on the odd afternoon. Chances are things are fine.

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this lawn for 6 years, never looks good till June. I didn't ask but all sod around here is KBG.

I have done a Lesco 5 step synthetic program (Dimension, followed by 20-0-8's ) or so in the past 6 years here with weed spot spraying.

It's the one on the left, grass looks very thick blades, like KBG.

Only other lawns I see like this are ones infested with bermuda which is much finer than this stuff.

I mow this yard like all my others, 3" year round. It seems like the grass is too long in the fall but I mow this into mid Nov, no way it is growing beyond that.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

why is the grass around the trees better looking?? water or shade/ more or less the same question?? are the 2 types of turf different?? whats next door

if a lawn looked like that here it had better have been sprayed with agent orange, I'm probably not that much help:waving:

6. ICT Bill

These are cool to cold grasses TG much different than what you see down in the tropics of FL, your spring was 2 months ago, these guys just had a below freezing night yesterday
    I'm just saying its different

7. treegal1

winter was dec 23 here, just wanted to peer into someone else world. we have a place in North Ga, a hunting shack. we have never seen green grass there, we only go in winter. the sod under the trees, thats what catches my eye, why does it look better there,that's the only observation i can bring, and a little joke about my ignorance of cold turf

8. ICT Bill

Looks like a different species of grass when I look at it again. thanks for the observation TG.

I would think that the place on the right uses a different seed than the other or sod, whatever

Go to a reference and find out which is which and please come back and tell us. There are some great new varieties of grass out there, it may be that simple

9. treegal1

yeah i am the tree gal, i look to the trees and could see in both pics under the trees green??? why is that? odd?

coming up in the industries through school and all, i only learned to ask why, not much more, it keeps getting me by some how. one day i will find out why.LOL

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the other lawns perhaps over seeded with rye for early spring greenup?