Help me gain ideas...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exmarkboy13, May 3, 2011.

1. Exmarkboy13

Exmarkboy13 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello everyone. I live in an area (my neightborhood) that is mostly senior citizens (middle class). I am 13, so i cant drive, but i need some ideas to gain some more weekly customers. This area im looking at is mostly small, 2400 square foot lawns that i charge 15-20 dollars a week and do a really nice job (as people have said to me). I advertise this on my flyers. Should i just continue to pass them out? where do i put them so they will see them (since you cant put them in mailboxes) and how do i overall boost my profits. Thanks in advance..

2. dtc0207

dtc0207 LawnSite Member

Charge more
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Exmarkboy13

My main consern is that it will turn people away, especially the area i live in and the blue collar, retired people. Most guys charge 20 to 30 a week. should i be to??

4. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

If you can maintain quality and yet lower prices by even a small percentage it might help you gain customers. Especially considering that you are in an area which is on limited income. $10.00-$12.00 is extremely enticing.

5. Exmarkboy13

thanks. But do you think ill lose profits

6. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Well lets see here, you go from charging $15-20 down to $10-12. Thats a loss of $5-8 per yard. So yes, that's gonna hurt your profits.

7. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

plus, you dont have a vehicle, so your market is limited. You are going to have to be flexible

8. Exmarkboy13

I have a tractor to mow and tow things around. What do you mean by "be flexible" and what are some effective and practical ways to win old people over??haha:):confused:

9. Oakleaf landscape

Oakleaf landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them your just a kid in school trying to save some money for college. Act like their grandchild almost...

10. Exmarkboy13

nice. thats what im trying to do and family memebers told me to put that on my flyer but i thought it looked improfessional. I do tell that to them in person thought.