Help me get established

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmackmiller, Apr 26, 2008.

1. bigmackmiller

bigmackmiller LawnSite Member

I am getting back in the biz again after being away for school...I need help getting established...What suggestions do you have that I can do...I have already made biz cards, flyer's to hang up, advertising for the side of the truck, have all equipment. I am in a very competitive area anything I can use over the other guys would be appreciated

2. j05h22

j05h22 LawnSite Member

Just follow around other LCO's and after they mow a yard leave a note on the door saying you'll do it for 5$ less.

3. bigmackmiller

Haha...a little price competition...hey i'm willing to try anything...I'll fight for some!

4. j05h22

j05h22 LawnSite Member

Ha Ha, that would be pretty shady lol. It's more ethical to fight for clients through your quality vs. price. But you know all that stuff. All I can say is get your name out there do a good job and you'll get good word of mouth advertising. My moto is "Take care of your customer, take care of your equipment, everything else will take care of itself."

5. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey guys, this would be PRETTY SHADY. how would you like it, if someone did the same to you? it's petty undercutting like this that forces the rest of us to struggle with maintaining a "profitable" labor rate.

a customer that is willing to let you go because some "unknown" comes in and says they'll do it for a little less is NOT a customer i'd want! moreover, you can count on loosing that customer the same way you got them.

i agree with the other poster... get out there and let your service and/or quality be your best sales tool. moreover, word of mouth is HANDS DOWN the best form of advertising... % of sales closures much higher.

once you get a couple accounts, with good exposure, you'll attract prospectives. good luck. have a good.

6. bigmackmiller

Yeah thats what i've been striving for...just need some outside accounts I guess most of my work has been through family but they are spreading the word...but I would be happy if I picked up an account of someone thats not related

7. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

When I started up last season. I ran flyers in a blocked area in my own neighborhood.
    it was late February-early March.

My flyer simply read as such ;
    Spring is near.
    Just think you will need to,
    Mow,trim and edge your lawn
    Every week, or you can
    Have me do it!!
    Reasonable Rates
    Info XXX-XXX-XXXX

I had already took over 5 accounts from a friend who wanted to do something else.
    but in that area I landed 12 more. Since i'm still working on my golden eighty with my full-time job, I have not advertised at all this year. But still have to tell my current customers, that it will be 2 seasons before I will go after more accounts,(they are always wanting to refer me to someone.)
    Good luck with anything you try. JUST GO FOR IT!!!