Help me get this BR400 running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by keith.mcginnis, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If there is no oil in the area of those seals then they are fine. And they are easy to pry out just use a screwdriver. Are you still working on the BR400?

2. keith.mcginnis

keith.mcginnis LawnSite Member

I'm going to order the seals today. Yes still working on this 400

3. keith.mcginnis

Starter side, the Seal just fell out when I took the cup off. I assume this means the seal is DONE! Is that bearing supposed to look like that? Seems to be missing some bb's.
    [​IMG]

The Seal #1
    [​IMG]

The Seal#2
    [​IMG]

Flywheel Side
    [​IMG]

Does this seal look bad?
    [​IMG]

Need to be replaced?
    [​IMG]

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Kieth...Probably a good place to stop...The ball bearings that are missing have been ingested by the engine...never works out too good...
    Stick a fork in it...its done...

5. keith.mcginnis

Why do you say its missing bearings? Looks like this one only has 8 as well.

[​IMG]

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I stand corrected...The cage that used to hold the ball bearings is what the engine injested.
    Doesnt change the prognosis...

7. keith.mcginnis

I hear you, but how would that cause an engine with perfect compression to not start? I'm not going that far with it though. Not that I don't feel that I'm able, just don't want to spend that much money on a free blower. Either way I have the new seal coming. I'll replace it and see if it grenades afterward.

-Keith

8. keith.mcginnis

Oh and just for the record I HATE STIHL!

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We you are dong fine put those seals back in and good to go. I am assume this is the BR400 which is two stroke? Actually the BR400 and 420 are maybe the best blower ever made. I got 4 of them and 13 Echo units. I just had seal come out on Echo PB620 and it kept starting so the crew kept using it until a ring broke. Fortunately it didn't do much damage and I am putting a used piston in it some rings and seals and I am certain I will be good to go.
    I get a lot of good parts from the local dealer where people run raw gas in the units and then don't have them repaired. I did repo on 4 a couple years ago and all are fine.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The bearing retainer appears to be plastic. It won't hurt a thing.