Help me get this BR400 running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by keith.mcginnis, Oct 29, 2012.

1. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

I'm thinkin' it will.

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Gotta agree with you...that is if it will even run..
    With all the ball bearings moved to one side ...the flywheel will wobble and most likely cancel the air gap on the coil..
    An exercise in futility...stay tuned...

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You do plan on replacing the bearing, right?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes he is going to have to take that engine apart and that isn't too bad until you try to slip the cyclinder back over the rings. This stihl is really difficult.

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

You gotta get a set of plastic ring compressers..makes the job easy..
    I keep a small bottle of mix oil on my bench...I prelube the piston and rings with it before installing the compresser...they usually slide right into the cylinder..
    I believe Husqvarna sells a set of them...

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Usually isn't a big deal most cylinders have a slight bevel at the bottom. If you don't have sausage fingers you can squeeze them enough to drop the cylinder down.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is true on all Echo units but these cyclinders on the stihl 400 series and sharp as heck.

8. keith.mcginnis

keith.mcginnis LawnSite Member

If the crank seal gets this thing running and I decide to replace the crank bearing, what all would be need to complete the job. (Parts wise) Can I just disassemble the case, replace the bearing and reassemble?

Remember, this blower was a donor. If I put too much money into it, I might as well buy a new one. Not to mention, once I do get it running, It needs an anti-vib spring, and all of the tubes.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It should be just the gaskets.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Gaskets and got to be careful not to break anything like the flywheel getting it off. Like I said getting that cyclinder back on gets tricky and easy to break a ring.