help me help them spend $

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Jan 31, 2008.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

alright guys I have a conundrum, but not a bad one. I have a potential client who is renovating a house on the campus of their alma mata. they live on the other side of the country but are doing this project for when they come over for sporting events and such. owner is evidently a very savy hydro engineer (or something) and I'm working him up a cost on both a basic (my regular hunter clock and such) system and just for ideas a elaborate automated possibly remotely accessed system. so what products would I be able to have him either check on the system from his home computer or have the system send a alert or whatnot if something was up? I'm looking at calsense, but not ever having used it I'm not entirely sure what "features" it has that justifies the $. help? thinking ET, soil moisture sensor?, wind sensor, flow of course and maybe the ethernet linkup, of course I suppose he'd need the software which looks to be outrageous from ewing, any one have another course of action?

2. Have you tried a WM Smartline yet? Can't do all these bells and whistle stuff that the CalSense does but it is an effective timer. All he really needs to know are his flow readings and the water bill will do that for him.

3. BrandonV

that's not the answer capt stream rotor is going to want to hear

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Oh Brandon, sounds like you got a good one, all you gotta do is set the hook!
    Pros & cons to all of this stuff...Calsense & Rain Master are the only ones I'd look at.
    I looked at the internet-based Rain Master for one of our double 48 systems; cell was
    spotty...monthly charges for cell. I'd check the newest stuff for Calsense, the question:
    ..their remote only works for them, unlike RM, do you have other sites where the
    RM could work? Land line is still the way to go for central system, 3K & up for software, tho, you can use a fax line for central. I like the RM software, & have had
    great service from the factory..they do have a new weather station. Hank may want to
    weigh in on this, we'd looked at a weather station that could short the common, but
    provided no adjustments to the operating software. It was internet-based, & seemed
    a "poor man's" central, tho I have my doubts, now. Hank, as I did, is still struggling
    with the cost of the software, a phone card at EACH controller & a bad ass computer
    at office &/ client' site for monitoring & adjustment. Central will never be cost-effective until there are enough well-healed clients to pay for the initial installation,
    plus your cost to get the monitoring set up. It IS the way to go! Do your homework,
    keep this thread open, we'll help in any way. Prepare the presentation, shave, shower,
    wash the truck. Flow sensing & probes are a easy sell..remote monitoring & control
    puts you into a whole different ball park..... The reps should step into assist you with
    the nuts and bolts..my guys were Bill Smiley @ Rain Master & Mark Peacock @ Calsense. Keep in touch, M

controlfreak-1.jpg

5. BrandonV

Mike thanks a lot for the bug on the rain master icentral thing, if it works the way they say it does that's exactly why I would want for him... heck I might even want it on some other jobs too. I have 0 experience w/ RM, but if you've use them I'm sure it worth a shot. I (as much as I'd like to) I don't think I could justify the calsense or at least what I think they cost at ewing... I think i need to call them because I can't believe there would be that huge a price difference...

nice macbook by the way, you see the new one? can fit the darn thing in a manilla folder ... and one of them doesn't have a hard drive, all flash based memory, great for people who drop stuff, not sure about it's "waterproofing" though

6. Mike Leary

Call the Rain Master factory, you'll talk with Shelia, ask for Donna...wish them both my
    best...see who your rep is in the area..get Bill Smiley's e-mail #; he's the MAN.
    Tho Toro bought Rain Master, I don't think even Toro would wreck this company!

7. Does the guy really want all this stuff? Bells and whistles are nice but only for your benefit in managing the system IMO. He just needs an occasional e-mail to remind him how smart you are. I don't think he'd really get any benefit from all the info a RM or CalSense timer would give him but you would. I guess their is no harm in having a basic package of say a SL timer and monitor and giving him upgrade costs to a RM or Calsense.

8. BrandonV

that's what I'm doing, it's more of a option if you want it. alot of my clients have surveillance cameras that they can access online and check their house so I guess this falls in line with that. I think though if I lived on the other side of the country from my vacation house I'd want to be able to check in on things with my computer if possible.

9. Mike Leary

That's the difference between you & me & how to run the biz....I started
    with the finest & best & worked my way down as budget dictated,
    you seem to work the other way!:hammerhead: