1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help me! I have a PITA customer on my hands!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVEY PROS, Jun 14, 2006.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Hey I was just wondering what you all would do in my situation (any advice would be greatly appreciated):

One of our clients - we've had for going on two years now has always been a little wierd. Sometimes I am just afraid to talk to him because - damn he's just straight up freaky. But that is just beating around the bush. Let me get to the point. His yard is almost a full acre and we cut it for only $45. When we started he seemed alright and his yard was a little hard to take care of b/c it was so big and the previous residents spent every day working on it. So his yard went down a little in value - we still managed to cut, edge, trim, and blow it. BUT we only have two 21' and it takes us nearly two hours becuase he wants all of it bagged! every time.

Once more he only wants it cut when he says we can - so it may be three weeks or two days. He doesn't water anything so it's practically all dead! then when it does grow he waits till its three ft tall! and this is bermuda.

The mulch ' which is all rotten and crapy - is another story. Even though it needs to be replaced he still complains when they aren't clean enough.

I just don't know what to do. Should i drop him? We are in the process of expanding...i'm just not so sure he respects us or his yard. Are we wasting our time?:cry:
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

And you wonder why most people wont use 21" mowers :hammerhead:

I can do that lawn by myself in under 30 minutes with a 48" ZTR
  3. guven

guven LawnSite Member

Drop him now, you can find new client and make more money, do not kill yourself.drop now , do not think twice.
  4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Time is money, two hours to cut & bag for 45.00, either up your price or drop him.
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Fire the freak, you can replace him with a normal/good customer! I never hesitate firing someone I dont like to deal with...
  6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Me to, drop him :clapping: dont be afraid to walk away some times, can be hard when you are starting but gets easier as you get bigger.:usflag:
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I say drop him until you can get better equip to handle a account like that. You are not making any money the way you are doing it.:nono:
  8. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

a better question would be why have you put yourself in that position?is it that hard to make a buck that you allow yourself to jump so many hurdles?

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

1) if i up my price how much should i charge then?

2) if i drop him how should i do it? I know he is going to nag me in some freakish awkward way.
  10. WalkerMike98

WalkerMike98 LawnSite Member

4 man hours for $45. You are losing money. Tell him bye bye. Make everyone else sign 12 month contract.