Help Me I have a problem with a trailer title

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by troblandscape, Mar 29, 2005.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Ok, I recently bought a trailer off of ebay. The trailer was never registered with the previous owner. When I bought the trailer he gave me the BILL OF ORIGIN which I have since lost. :cry: What do I do now? I cant find the manufacture of the trailers location. It is a 2001 Fox equipment trailer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

My trailer dealer doesn't title the trailer he builds so he doesn't have to pay taxes. What I have to do is take the trailer to a grain elevator and have it weighed. Costs like $2.00. Then I take the weight slip to the DMV and have the trailer titled as home built. I stamp a serial number somewhere on the tongue in case it needs to be identified. Maybe you could do something like that. Hope this helps.

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's the way to do it...Illegally, shhh :p . Some states like MO just need an inspection and then take that to the DMV. Then they give you the serial # and they send you a title.

4. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Man, I am not talking!!! :) I get a 7x18 with a steel deck, new tires and wheels, brakes, and a gate for $1,300.00. I have yet to find a place anywhere that can get close to that price. And I don't have to drive over hill and dale to get it. The guy is only 15 minutes from my shop.

5. PLM-1

wow..i paid a little more than that for my latest. except it has a wood floor with a 2 ft steel dovetail. otherwise it's the same as yours.

but wait...u built yours didn't you??? :p

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Don't tell anyone but thats why you need a good tongue lock, A stolen trailer can be retitled real easy. :)

7. PLM-1

And how do we know this?? :angel:

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Because I had a trailor stolen :realmad: :realmad:

9. PLM-1

Ah...welcome to the club! I got mine back tho...minus the trash the it was filled with! Turned out well...just had to go pick it up across town. Atleast i didn't have a dump fee!

10. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

yup, lost one that way, now everything is removable coupler..... hard to steal a trailer when there is no way to hook up to it :-D