Help me ID this grassy weed in bermuda

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by inzane, Jun 21, 2013.

1. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i see this alot around here, its not fescue. Looks like switchgrass to me from everything i've looked up on google but i just can't tell. It usually grows in clumps and is a yellowish color with a slight redish tint on the blades sometimes.

grassyweed.jpg

grassyweed2.jpg

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Dallis grass? just guessin'

3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Broomsedge. Gly is pretty much the only thing that'll kill it. It pulls up easily if you don't have a lot to deal with.

4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

thanks, yeah.. that seems to be it. however, trugreen has been spraying for this on this one lawn i have been mowing, and it is dying. not sure what they are using though. suprised that they are even making the effort. lol.

5. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

im not a expert that sure isnt dallis grass.

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

....foxtail?

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

or maybe a millet

8. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

9. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Broom sedge.

Msma or paint it with gly
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had some MSMA. I picked up a lawn late last year with a ton of broomsedge, the lawn is 419 bermuda, It was built 7 years ago in a subdivision on a cow pasture (broomsedge heaven) and it had never had any turf program until she hired me last fall and looked like poo. it was perfect timing for taking on a lawn. Got all the necessary pre apps out, an app of 3way in the fall, then 3way again in February for broadleaves, got it on a proper fert program to kick the bermuda back into shape, then a blanket of celcius in May and the lawn looks 1000x better and is clean other than the broomsedge. I planned on painting it with gly this past Saturday morning. Drove by about 8pm Friday and it hadnt been mowed so timing was perfect to apply the gly, showed up Saturday morning and her son had mowed the grass Friday night DOH! My fault for not coordinating a time with her...