Help me, I've killed a lawn!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by nbrockb, May 27, 2008.

1. nbrockb

nbrockb LawnSite Member
    from 38464

I've recently sprayed trimec on a zoysia yard. I mixed some Ali in with 15 gal. of trimec to kill out the onions/ broadleaf weeds. What I didn't know was that there were about 1.5 gal round up, mixed, in the bottom of the sprayer. I added to the mix thinking it was left over trimec. So virtually I've put 1.5 gal round up, 13.5 gal. trimec/ Ali onto this yard. It's full of zoysia and some weeds. The good news is all the weeds are dead. The bad news is, so is his zoysia ;). I've tried to help him by fertilizing for free of charge. It's been about 2 weeks but no green results yet. I'm waiting paitenly for it to come back but I would like to do something quick if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Be ready to renovate and reseed the whole lawn. the good news is - since you are licensed to do pesticide application, your insurance should cover this.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Runner

This is Zoysia Turf. No Seeds will re-establish it except one variety which doesn't grow in zone 8 or 9. This is an expensive Sod Job requiring heavy equipment. Maybe Insurance will cover the cost. But you better believe a cancellation notice will soon follow.

BTW No advice from me, Dead is Dead and I know of no magic tricks.

4. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I'm lost. How much trimec and how much glyphosate?

Tell me how many gallons of of water, and how many ounces of each chemical.

Have you pulled up a section of turf and looked at the roots?

5. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

Live and learn.

6. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure we all have learned the lesson within this problem...never use "kill" tanks interchangeably with regular treatment tanks. I still use a backpack sprayer for my Round-up/Sahara jobs...that way I will not ever have to walk in your shoes. Those are some shoes I don't envy at the moment.

7. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

As KB said, try to take a look at the roots, I have had many customers over the years with zoysia and it is very tough to kill it foir real, make sure you really translocated the herbicide through the entire root zone, the reason I say this is you can kill an entire Zoysia Lawn and strip it with a sod cutter at a high depth like 1/8 inch and soak down the yard with water and wait and most of the time the grass will come back, If you dont have time to wait then yes it will be an expensive sod job.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That sucks!

As stated...you should not share sprayers and if you do, you should know the proper clean out procedures!

I wish I lived closer and I would do the seeding job and stick it to the insurance comoany! :laugh:

9. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Put some kind of dye in your round up so you can tell it apart from everything else. The blue is quite lovely.

10. nbrockb

nbrockb LawnSite Member
    from 38464

Thanx for the advice. Yes I've been told time and time again to use different sprayers, its just another expense that I don't want to fork out but in this case it would've saved me the headache and money. Live and Learn! The Gyphosate was mixed 2 oz. per gal. of water, there were prob. about 15 gal. of that mixed up. Of that tank 1.5 gal were left in bottom. I mixed the Trimec as suggested on the bottle, can't remember the exact amount. Mixed with 13.5 gal of water. Then I added the Ali. The Ali was a very little amount but this stuff is very toxic. It was about a half of a 20 oz cap on a bottle. I just wonder if the Ali had a part in such a good kill. Not sure. He actually had some patches of Bermuda as well. The Bermuda is already solid green and the zoysia is still dead. I'm thinking maybe when I sprayed the bermuda was more dormant and didn't really get the kill on the bermuda. I've actually checked some of the roots and I think with time it will come back out but its been 36 days. Maybe I'll just wait a bit longer. Thanks for the suggestions.