Help me kill lilac aftergrowth

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dalel20, Jun 28, 2008.

1. dalel20

dalel20 LawnSite Member

I removed some lilac trees for a customer last fall. I sprayed with roundup immediately after, again in the spring and again right now. I mixed 2, 4D this time. But from my experiences is there a better chemical to use. Seems like it takes years to kill this stuff. Thanks in advance!!!
  2. bchalks

bchalks LawnSite Member

Lilacs are pretty hardy. you may want to grind out the roots with a stump grinder. Most herbicides only kill plants that are ''green'', what I do is use a chemical called pentra bark mixed in with my roundup for these situations. It penetrates the chemical into the cambium and helps kill it better. It is not labeled for this, though. Pentra bark is made for phosphite acid bark treatments for stem lesions and cankers in trees so anywhere that sells a product like Agri-Fos should have it.

B. Chalker, ISA
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Garlon in diesel. Apply like a basal bark treatment to all resprouts. Are there any desirable trees or shrubs near the lilac stumps? If not Banvel is also a good herbicide.