Help me make money!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Lasko's Lawn Service, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Well I've got to finally break down and learn how to do this stuff. I've had current customers hounding me to fertilize their yards and I've been putting them off for lack of knowledge about it but I think I'm missing out on making a lot of money with this extra service. I live in NW PA and the we are just starting to break into spring full force now....the grass is not quite growing yet.

Here are my questions: How important is aeration? I understand dethatching but I don't see that matted effect on many of our properties. How important is dethatching if you don't see a deep layer?

Also, do I need a license to fertilize? I know I can get my hands on stuff like Scotts 4-step but do you use bulk fertilizer and where do you get them?

Lastly, at this time of the year, what is the process to convert a regular ol lawn into a lush green yard? Meaning, fertilize now? seed in fall? aerate now?....what's your timetable to do it right and make it look nice....

Also, I'm aware that every situation is different, I'm just trying to increase my knowledge base.

Thanks a lot!

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

you must have a license to apply anything at all on anothers property that is not straight fertilizer and fert alone. aeration is the most important thing you can do, preferable in fall as to not hurt your pre emergent in spring. it controls thatch and helps loosen the soil to better allow the use of minerals and air and water for a better root zone. we do aeration, fert and seed all at once most of the time and really keeps the lawn together and repairs for the following year to look good again. ta da

3. Ace 000

Ace 000 LawnSite Member

I recommend finding a mid sized fertilizing company in your area they will work with you so you can make a little money and they can do all the work.

4. Lasko's Lawn Service

Grassman,
    So that I understand you correctly, you CAN put down fertilizer alone without a license? or you can't put down herbicides without a license?
    Sounds like you do preemergent fertilizer in spring and aerate, fertilize, and seed in the fall?

Thanks a ton!!

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

You CAN put down fert and lime. No certification. The Scotts step one has a herbicide in it for crabbgrass (and other weeds), and you cannot put that down legally. In fact, all of the Scotts stuff has a pestricide in it except step 4.

So, no pre-emerge for you. Just straight ferts and lime. The PA test isn't that hard. Get certified. Then weeds, grubs, chinch bugs and aphids will be yours to kill, and make you a whole lot more $ than mowing will.

6. Lasko's Lawn Service

Guys! Thanks for the information and replies....I'm in the process of getting myself certified....I'm excited about diversifying the services I provide....grubs will now look like 1 dollar bills lying all over the ground!