Help me make transition to organic

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by MrC, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Gardening... sorry :laugh:
    Mycors don't really apply to most annuals anyways because there is not enough time for them to establish.
    However there was a report that they were getting results with innoculated field corn.

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Anything in solution has the potential to leach. Now the chances for P to move out of the effective root zone before it precipitates out of solution or is adsorbed is relatively low, but naturally depends on the soil, soil structure, and associated chemical properties. P can and does leach.

3. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Yes lets bring this back. I put down Ringers because it was recommended by several neighbors and their lawns look pretty good. I'm mulching the grass and leaves. I'm holding off on compost because I can't find it in bulk and bagged is really expensive. What else can I do to help my lawn before the hot summer? Kelp? Liquid ferts?
    Thanks again for all the help!!!

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Warm or cool season turf?

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

He is in Jersey so probably fescue and maybe some KBG mixed in
    You don't need a lot of compost if you can't handle it, you can use a small amount just do it several times a year

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If that is the case, then probably wouldn't do much of anything, assuming the turf is heading into partial dormancy.

7. drugrep

drugrep LawnSite Member

WBO,

It take 18 pounds of P per acre to raise by 1 ppm. I converted that to pounds per 1,000 sq ft.

I basically need to use starter 4 times per year for 3 years to get me up to 40 ppm.

I'm going to test at least once a year to see what's going on and see if I am having any impact.

I shouldn't have P locked up too bad, it locks up worse in low pH where it binds with Al, but in high pH, it starts binding with Ca, but still very soluble.

8. WannaBeOrganic

WannaBeOrganic LawnSite Member

I think it's fair to ask that if someone sells or manufacturers a product and recommends or otherwise makes a claim about it, they should be able to provide information to back it up when requested if that claim can't easily be verified. Just my opinion.

I've been reading good things about kelp for helping with various types of stress and recommendations to use it before summer. I decided to try a liquid fertilizer that contains kelp this summer to see how it works. If you're putting down Ringer Lawn Restore now you won't need to fertilize for a while so plain kelp is probably better for you if you want to try it. Lots of stuff online about kelp.

Mind if I ask where you got the Ringer?

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Kelp is a winner. I add it along with fish hydrolysate and humic acid to all my liquid applications.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Like this one, from the same author as your referenced source on bone meal?

The Myth of Curative Kelp

Conclusions from researchers

1) Plant selection: “…working with resistant varieties seems to be the best solution [to disease
    resistance].”

2) Environmental conditions: “…soil fertility and production conditions were more important growth
    and yield determinants than were foliar sprays.”

3) Management techniques: “If proper planting techniques are followed, the use of biostimulants is
    unwarranted.”

4) Overall assessment: “…treatments are ultimately dependent on multiple plant, soil, and
    environmental factors, and often have no discernible effects.” “…there appears to be little value in
    applying these products.”

5) Marketing: “Manufacturers’ claims for the benefits of these products go beyond what is
    substantiated by the research.” “The number of products now on the market seems to outnumber the
    published papers.”

These researchers’ conclusions say it all – seaweed extracts are aggressively marketed with little regard
    for objective, scientific research. There is a final concern never addressed, which is the justification for
    large-scale removal of vegetation from one ecosystem (the marine kelp “forests”) for application to
    another (terrestrial landscapes). The ecological impacts of increased seaweed harvesting are currently
    under investigation and the possibility of significant ecosystem damage is real. There is no argument that
    seaweed products are useful and valuable to humans for the reasons discussed earlier. However, given
    that there are few documented benefits from applying seaweed extracts to plants, this is not a justifiable
    nor sustainable practice. The marketing of such products as “earth friendly” in this context should be
    repugnant to environmentally conscious consumers.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009