help me on this one please........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by debris2500, Nov 22, 2003.

1. debris2500

debris2500 LawnSite Member

:confused: hi guys...(and gals) just signed a contract for 2003/2004 s-plowing & lawn mowing etc.......on this awesome prop. (res.) about a 8 acre lot, woods on 3 sides road on the front........nice house (BIG) 2 long driveways (the last guy could not handle prop. of this size......machines kept breaking when he would mow.....never would finish.Did not show up to plow in the winter.Anyways not a big deal for me........My problem is that the leaves have not been done. I q-ed him 750.00 to do the leaves I fig. use my tractor w/Agri-fab 3point blower and my helper w/9hp Lit Won. and back pac to do the beds and around the house EASY biggest part is the open yard areas all leaves go back to the woods......any ways he said too much and didnt want topay he said he would clean the leaves with his kids (I KNOW THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN) funny feeling telling me Im going to be stuck with them in the spring.......Told him same price in the spring to c-up the leaves........He didnt squak about my mowing and plow prices..........What do I do come spring.........and he doesnt want to pay me for c-up only for mowing????????? Any ideas??????

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

1st mow is at least double priced.

3. debris2500

Thats what I was thinking but WHAT IF........ he only pays for the reg. cut price which is a lot more that what is last guy was charging him for.......... Do you think the clean-up price is too low or high........I think Im giving a deal for the leaves......

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The sad truth of the matter is that you will probably have to do them for free to keep the account. Seems that you may be leaning towards doing that, and maybe he figures you will.

5. debris2500

Nuthin like workin for freee, Reality suks.........I guess if I have to eat the leaves Im still makin good on the mowing and the plowing if it snows..........I HATE doin biz like that......the guy is a big shooter and knows a lot of people I guess Ill hope he likes my work and refers me to some more cust. But I dont want it to go around that Im some sort of softee WHICH Im NOT.....because then he could say "oh look I gave him my prop and he did the leaves for free........follow what Im sayin????

6. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Come spring, if those leaves still need to be picked up let him know, before hand, that you will have to charging him your original estimated cleanup fee ,if not more now that they will be heavy and wet.
    You the man.

7. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

When spring comes mow it once and leave. Guy sounds like a PIA. You know when a customer is willing to volunteer a list of things the last guy did poorly maybe it's because he is too picky. You could mow once before grass really grows and mulch the leaves. If he bitches about that it's probably going to get worse. Sounds like another paragraph is needed in your contract. (not trying to be a snart azz I don't even use them yet)

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Make him aware of the quality equipment you are using to do his leaf cleanup. I'm sure he and his kid(s) don't have proper leaf removal equip.Maybe some Crapsman rakes and a tarp. Tell him that your price is an already lower price than you would normally charge.If that doesn't work, make him aware of the extra costs come spring to remove the wet,matted leaves.Then add on bare spot repair, fert. treatments,etc. to place the yard in a "manageable state" as it says in our contracts, before you can begin mowing his property. Try and get that through his head, that you cannot perform your contracted duty with the yard in an unmanageable condition. If not, hope you make out good on plowing, and come spring, move on.Small things like this have a way of snowballing with non-compliant types like this.Good luck.:D

9. debris2500

Thats what I was thinking....Bang him for the extras like spot repair etc. Maybe he just doesnt want to spend the money right now or wants to wait for spring........Im trying to keep the beer mug 1/2 full type of thinking instead of 1/2 empty..... Ya know what I mean.......
    02 dodge cummins,fisher X-BLADE
    ferris mowers
    john deere tractor
    red max , blower/trimmers
    little wonder blowers
    cross country trailer
    some 3ph goodies