1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help me out guys...How much tire pressure?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bad_chad48, Feb 6, 2002.

1. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

I have recently bought a Scag turf tiger 61"cut. It was used but only with 144hrs... My question is how much tire presure do I need to have in the tires.. Front and back... then what if the ground is wet...
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My eXmark Lazer HP says 13 psi in both front and back tires.
  3. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

well according to the manual that I have, It calls for (somewhere)around 25lbs for the back then 10lbs for the front... is that pressure the best for cutting conditions? what about if the ground is wet?
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Shouldn't it say on the wall of the tire?

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Shouldn't it say on the wall of the tire?

Not always the correct or proper way to always follow the sidewall. That is MAX load pressure. Always check you owners manual for this.

My LC Lazer says 13 front and back as well.

The rear tires say MAX pressure of only 10 psi !!!

I dont understand that?

If I only put in 10, its a bit too soft, plus the center of the tire is concave. My rears are only wearing on the outside of the tread. I may have 2 defective tires, I dont know? They will level out at about 16psi, but then its like riding on solid tires!!

Anyone else have this same concave shape to the tread area on 24x12-12's ?
  6. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

My suggestion is to start off using the manuals #'s as a gauging point, provided this the manual for the model that you have? If it feels too hard back off a pound or two at a time until you are comfortable with the want it feels and performs.

7. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

AT first my dealer was recommending low pressure in the front so as not to abuse the bearings. now, they a actually pumping over 35lbs in those little babies.

I run less than 15 in back (eXmark lazer) and 20+ in front.
  8. slickrick

slickrick Banned

Exmark says to measure the circumfrance of tires to make sure you are level ,regardless of pressure ,I did not realize tires of equal size can actually vary that much in size .
  9. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i have the same problem TLS, i pu 10# in both of mine like the sidewall and the book say and the center bows in.

i also have 2 different tread patterns on th 2 rears. i turned around a fire hydrant and cut it a little too close. i ripped a 2inch hole in the side wall. co-op couldnt order the same pattern and i needed it asap so i just went ahead and got that one. they put in a tube that day and it held fairly well.

my front tires hold 40psi!!!!! they r rough, im gonna take em down this season!!
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

WHOA there with the 40 Psi!!!!

Front casters on mowers should only be 13 (Exmark and SCAG) to maybe 15, and if its a heavy front runner, then go to maybe 20. 40 is just WAY too much, and you mind as well be running solid tires!

The tire says MAX INFLATION 40PSI, thats the tire, not the manufacturer of the mower!!

If you were running 40, you'll have to re-pitch your deck, as thats a big drop in height from 40 to 13 !!!