Help me out guys...looking at doing some work at home.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Whitaker24, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Whitaker24

Whitaker24 LawnSite Member

Wife wants a patio on the side where the picnic table sits. I want to add some dirt to the side of the house also. Can you all suggest ideas? Im thinking about leaving the edges with grass. Maybe just put a "pad" on the picnic table side, or should I do one on both sides? Give me some ideas photos of maybe some work you all have done and how long project should take? Thanks I will post some photos.

000_0070.jpg

000_0071.jpg

000_0072.jpg

000_0073.jpg

2. lawnboy852

lawnboy852 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Do you want a raised patio? If not, I would look at dry laying flagstone pavers. I know around here you can get nice even square stone at a good price. Then dry laying is a fairly simple process from what I understand, just make sure you have everything super compacted to prevent excessive settling.

3. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Paver patio would be nice as well and would blend well with the brick. I like flagstone, but much i have seen is low quality in SC.. unless price is no biggie. If I was you I would plan on some tall plants to soften up the corners. Keep in mind your downspouts and any possible irrigation/ drainage before you start, and or add sleeves if you feel you may need something in the future...like lights, fire ring, hot tub etc. You have a blank slate...tons of possibilities. I would go to borders and flip through magazines with the wife.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, go ahead and do downspouts to the road while you are doing this. Then go with a paver. I personally dont think flagstone would go all that well with the brick and color of the house.. But I am not a flagstone fan either..

gunsnroses, where are you located in SC?

5. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Beaufort area....only been here for 2.5 yrs. Still not sure what I think of the lowcountry... but the seafood and fishing is good, and I have a job. And you Junior

6. Whitaker24

Whitaker24 LawnSite Member

When you say raised patio you mean the stone that is 3 inches or so thick? I know pavers are flat. I had not thought of the magazine idea.

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

When he says raised patio as in, a level patio..

Instead of digging into the ground, you build a wall and fill in the area to make a level pad for the pavers..

And I am just Northeast of Columbia between columbia and camden Guns..

8. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

I say use a brick that closely matches the brick on the house. Leave a 3' bed along the foundation for nice plantings....i would do perennials or ornamental grass....in fact, use an ornamental grass around the inside of the patio, but use the same one massed in there. Tie it in to the steps as well with a nice landing. Do a nice planting in front of the deck as well to finish the space off.

My $.02.

9. OrganicsMaine

OrganicsMaine LawnSite Senior Member

No pics right now, but if you have help in doing this, you could probably get the patio done in 2 days. The plantings should only take another 1/2 day with prep work and mulching. This is assuming you and 2 workers are doing the job. With design work, just remember KISS...keep it simple stupid. Don't use too many different plants, and use the same type of bricks to keep the overall flow. Try Pine Hall bricks....I believe they are out of NC. Can't help too much with plants, you are in a totally different zone than me!

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would raise the patio to the level of the extended porch. Stepping out unto the patio shouldn't mean going down steps to walk around on stone instead of grass. At my age those steps take the liesure out of the patio. :)