1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help Me Out!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ramossjr, Jul 23, 2004.

1. ramossjr

ramossjr LawnSite Member
    from TN

I'm trying to decide whether to sell my truck which is a 2002 Ford, and downgrade to something older. I've had this truck for sometime and it's very reliable, it's really hard to depart from something that's reliable. If I sell it and get something older I may be taking a chance of it (another truck) being as reliable. I know that starting a lawn business you must be reliable, atleast that's what the customer expects. I have a full time job that's paying the bills right now, and starting a lawn care would be extra on the side. I talked to my dad and he said to think hard and long about this decision, because 2 1/2 years will go by pretty fast and then I'll own the vehicle. Please help me out, I need some input. :cry:
  2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

whats your reason for selling it??
  3. ramossjr

ramossjr LawnSite Member
    from TN

I'm trying to reduce some of my overhead before starting this business. In my mind I know that if I work hard this business (lawn care) could take over my full time job, and pay for everything that I own. I just want to be a reliable service provider, and this vehicle is very reliable. I don't want to sink alot of money into something used, hoping that it's reliable enough to get me to and from customer's lawns.
  4. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

then your choice should be easy...
  5. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Stick with the truck. You never know what you are going to get yourself into buying used. (not saying buying used is bad) but when you alreday have a good reliable truck. Pluse if you already have a full time job then this is just iceing on the cake. No need to down grade. Sounds like you are finacing the truck also so if you are looking at getting ried of a monthly pament. Just stick with the truck. I sold one of my cars to get a truck that i really did not need. Compleat wast and i wish every day I still had the car that I had.
  6. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

keep your truck. trust me, reliability is a huge thing in this business. I believe about 80% of my customers came to me looking for someone who is realiable and does good work because the company they were with before me wouldn't show up or only cut when they felt like it. If you can do good work and show up when you are suppose to you will get more work than you can handle. good luck.
  7. roadhawg3

roadhawg3 LawnSite Member

yes, keep the truck
  8. FGM350

FGM350 LawnSite Member

Keep the truck I thought the same when I started. Before I left my full time job I bought a brand new truck just to be on the safe side of things, plowing , pulling the trailer!! Its nice having a new truck with a warrenty! also with some pease of mind too!
  9. carbon737

carbon737 LawnSite Member

always think of it as an investment. After a few years in the business (if things go well) you'll be able to buy a newer one and you can use that as a back up.
  10. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

If you are starting out and you dont own it you are in trouble. There is a lot to be said for owning all of your equipment in the beg.

Do not be afraid of a used truck. I bought one with 128,000 miles on it and it now has 160,000 and I have just done brakes and oil. Just buy a 99 or higher with high mileage and a V8