Help me pick a gas trimmer...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 10AcreJoe, Jun 19, 2004.

?

Help me choose a gas trimmer...

1. Echo model

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Toro model

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Homelite model

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Your recommendation not listed above

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. 10AcreJoe

10AcreJoe LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Hi everyone,
    I just bought a property 10 acres and need to pick up a gas trimmer in the next couple of weeks. I've only used electric and never owned or ran a gas trimmer so I'm coming into this blind!

I work at Home Depot and was looking at the Echo, Toro, and Homelites. I see a Homelite for $99CAN all the way up to a $299CAN Echo!

PLEASE let me know what I need to look for in a gas trimmer and which one would be the best for my 10 acres! THANKS!

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

go with echo very easy to replace trimmer line. The trimmer line on an echo never gets tangled because of the style of the head

Ken

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Husky LX325 :D ___________________

4. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

shin. is my choice

5. jrs mowing

jrs mowing LawnSite Member

Echo is the right choice.

6. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Go with Stihl, they are awesome machines

7. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

A Stihl has a better clutch, more surface area, lower fastener count and they arent all different sizes (you can do almost all repairs with one tool). The drive shaft on straight shaft models and the cable on curved shaft models and the clutch have a lifetime warranty. The cylinder on the Stihl has four transfer ports for better breathing. The most common trimmer head has a quick load feature, you dont have to fish string through little holes. Most Stihl dealers will have parts in stock if you need them.

8. 10AcreJoe

10AcreJoe LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Thanks guys for you responses! I'm going to keep my eyes on the Echo but look into the Stihl aswell

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl FS 85 or FS 110.

10. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

If you are looking into the $250 range, why not look into Redmax. I've had no problem with mine thus far, and the power is there to spare IMO.
    Try to not limit yourself by the place you work, as it may not be the best decision down the road.
    Good luck with which ever one you decide.