Help me pick a multi-tool!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccarr, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ccarr

ccarr LawnSite Member
    from Mesa,AZ

I am looking for a multi-tool and already have a line trimmer, and chainsaw type hedge trimmer. I will be using this for mainly long shaft hedge trimming, pruning, edging and as a backup trimmer. What would you recommend? I was looking at the Stihl KM 110 R, Echo PAS-260 and the Shindaiwa line as well. I have a dealer down the street that sells all three brands. I know Stihl and Shindaiwa sell 4-stroke but are they worth looking into. I bought my first line trimmer from this same dealer and one of the employees felt the technology with the 4-stroke wasnt quite there yet, but some else said they are a nice machine but just needs some valve adjustment after time.

What are your experiences with the these brands? What would you prefer when it comes to a multi-tool, the 2 or 4 stroke?

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have had the Shiny with the C4 technology for 4-5 years; no service needed yet.....good tool, lots of power

3. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Love the KM 110. The KM 85 is also very good but was replaced by the KM 110. It's a bit heavy but you can't beat it for versatility. The 85 was two stroke and the 110 is four stroke. In my mind, it's a push. You can definitely tell a difference in the sound but other than that, I say any difference is neglibile.

Lots of power, flexibility, attachments, everything. Weight is probably the only complaint but I think that's common to all combo units.

Good luck in your decision.

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 2 stroke Shinny and its purdy good. I wish I woulda got the 4 stroke now tho. I really like the pole pruner. You can trim15 to 18 up and not leave the ground. sweet. My edger goes well but I think the 4 stroke would be better.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have three shin muti tools with all the attachments,i ordered the small shrub trimmer end this week.

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

7. ccarr

ccarr LawnSite Member
    from Mesa,AZ

Hey Lawnbrother,

Have you compared the KM110 to the shindaiwa? Looks like I will have to go and check them both out. It also looks like you guys like the Stihl or Shindaiwa.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

No, I haven't compared them, but mine has been great. I would definitely recommend it

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Have the Shindaiwa and no regrets, my friend has the 110 by stihl and likes that as well , there both good products.

10. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the PAS 260. It's been great.