Help me pick a new edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Nov 8, 2012.

1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

So you'll spend $200 on that pile when you could look around a bit and find a killer deal for peanuts? I bet you could find a nice one for next to nothing if you asked around.

2. orangemower

from pa

I have this exact edger that I got for free. I paid $20 for a carb kit to get it running.
    [​IMG]

3. TruSomethingOrOther

TruSomethingOrOther LawnSite Member

I know it's out of your price range, but I bought a Tanaka walk behind edger this spring. Paid 800 for it but it's a shaft edger, not a belt driven. More power to the head and just keeps cuttin away. Good unit. Good luck in your endeavor..

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

that deere is bad ass and hi tech . never got to try one out in person.i have used the tanaka a lot and the hardware breaks often on it. cables wheel bearings etc. little wonder makes a model with duel belts that eliminates belt slippage-a good idea.

5. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

RM,

I have a mclane branded JD with a honda. I restored it last summer, its a 1988 JD that had an old briggs. If you can afford get the honda, the power difference really speaks for itself. Here is the thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=385567

I looked around and really the only players in the game are Tanaka, PowerTrim, and Mclane. Anyone of those three will do the job. These trimmers are really only for overgrowth trim jobs and long stretches as you already know.

I bought mine strictly for reno jobs, and i made allot of mods to mine. I don't believe that the new mclane's come with steel wheels which bother me but it isn't the end of the world.

Anyhow, you'll be happy with a mclane.

6. orangemower

from pa

Yes it is. It works great and starts on the first pull. It belonged to the owner of a huge JD dealer in the area and was used at his personal property. Saying it's used is about as far from reality as you can get. It's about as new as it can get. :) The one in the pic I posted looks to be in worse condition then mine!

7. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

I have an old Jacobson with a Briggs, and You can't kill it. Just needs a tuneup because it takes too long to start. :)