Help me pick a new mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsylvain, Mar 8, 2008.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have 107 accounts.

90% are under 15,000 square feet and a good chunk of them are under 10,000 with a few as small as 6000.

I have

52" Snapper Zrider.
    48" Snapper Zrider.
    36" hydro Walk behind.

I need to replace the 48" with something she is just to slow anymore to keep up. This mower is going to be my primary mower for most jobs as the 52" is just a hair to large for a lot of the properties so I end up using the 48 all the time since I would have to pull it off the trailer to get to the 52" anyway.

any suggestions? trying to sift throug all the hype.

2. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Well i assume you are looking for a Z? I would go with an Exmark. You can either go with the HP or the CT. The HP is a 46 in with the new triton deck. The CT is a 48 with the old style deck. Both would be great mowers.

If you are looking for a walk behind (which i am assuming not since you said your z was slow) go with the Turf Tracer HP. Also a very good mower.

3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

The Bad Boy Pup 48" would be a good choice if you want to speed things up. It has 2 engine options for that deck, a 23hp Vanguard and a 30hp Kohler Command Pro. Both are under $6500 and both mow at 10mph... :usflag:

4. BNR LAWN SERVICES

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

Scags and Standers are the only way!!!!

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should check out the Dixon commercial line !!

6. riverwalklandscaping

riverwalklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Dont see much point in having a 48 and a 52. To me, it makes more sense to have a 48 and a 60. Perhaps get rid of both and go this route. When you say the 52 is a hair to big, do you mean to get through gates? I mow almost everything with a 60, unless there is a gate issue. I don't mind doing the tiny lawns with a big mower, a lot easier if you ask me. Another option would be to just get rid of the 52 alltogether, as long as you say your never using it. Get 2 48's and an employee? Hustler makes the best z's for the dollar in my opinion. www.hustlerturf.com

7. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

What dealers do you have in your town?? Thats where you need to start.

8. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

Here's your solution: Based on what information I'm gathering from you, I'll make two suggestions.

[​IMG]

Wright Sentar - WSE4823KAWE
    • 48" Deck
    • 23 HP Kawasaki
    or the...

Wright Sentar - WSE4819KAWE
    • 48" Deck
    • 19 HP Kawasaki

9. lsylvain

The 52" I have is just two big for these small lawns. It is a big machine and too heavy. Some of these properties are not more than 6 feet between the houses. So the extra width doesn't help you to use a biger mower anyway since you are only really getting paid to cut 3' of grass.

10. lsylvain

I'm in FL so we have just about any brand mower you can think of. The only ones I have not seen around are the "Bad Boy's"

I've looked at the dixon pro models and they do seem to be a pretty good machine.