Help me pick/yes or no.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 22, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I am starting my biz now. Just got a 1997 6'x12' with gate ramp (better than the 5x10 i was gonna get, it only had 12" tires) and it has a 5,000lb axle. Holds all my stuff with lots of leftover room. I have a rear engine rider that cuts wonderfully, but will soon upgrade to a walk behind. my question is someone said i should go door to door and hand out flyers, and they said i would get all the bizness i wanted that way. I was also going to put business cards at local shops (parts store, feed and grain place, etc.) do you think the door to door thing is a good idea or not? give pros and cons. I'm 14 1/2, so it may not be a good thing, but then again might be good too. bad maybe cause they might wanna take advantage of me, good cause they may decide i need work and know i'll be alittle cheaper than other guys, and they might wanna support someone starting out cause they remember when they did it when they were a kid. What's your thoughts?

Flyer - click here

Trailer and equipment - click here

2. TOSLC

TOSLC LawnSite Member

I'd say I've had the best luck with fliers. Just getting your name known helps.

By the way I do some work in Columbus also.

3. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

No offense but, at 14 1/2 , why do you need a trailer?

SJR

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

How are you going to move the trailer ?
    Can you get a license at 14........and a half ?

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I need a trailer to haul my stuff on. I don't live in town where I could just drive the mower. I live on a hiway outta town two miles and there's an addition - two of them in fact - down the road 1/4-1/2 mile or so. But can't drive a mower on the highway. And this would be good to haul mulch and leaves, etc. and still have room for mowers.

TOSLC- Do you know where Daily's Feed and Grain is east of Columbus on 25th st? used to be st rd 46 but some one changed it all the way out to st rd 9, 5 miles outta town, what a dumb thing. I live across from Daily's one house toward town with the circle drive and white columns. Maybe you know where it is or have seen me out in the yard? What is the name of your business, I might have heard of you. Where do you do most of your work at?

Eric

6. HLC

HLC LawnSite Member

This is my second year in the biz. I have heard that the door hangers work well. I was going to do that but decided to send out postcards. At 21 cents apiece I figure I 'll let the postman deliver. I am sending out about 600 and it's costing me $126 in postage. I figure it would take me a week and some awfully sore feet to put that many out. I'm sure I couldn't hire someone to do it for less. Just a suggestion. I would also like to hear from some of the pros on this.....Have postcards worked for anyone else? Thanks....Joe

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Jeffyr,
    I guess you didn't click on the link to the trailer and equipment page. We have a 1 ton Ford van to haul it with. My mom would drop me off at a area where i have several accounts close together and get me later. I will probly take my garden tractor with a trailer ball and use it to move the trailer and mower(s) around the neighborhood. My older brother , 18, will work for me sometimes and will drive too. Then by the time i'm 16 I will probably already have a truck. I figure I can have enough for a nice one not too old in about 4 to 8 months depending on many things.
    Eric

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

BushHog- I wish I had that set-up when I was 14. My friend and I used to cut 1 acre properties with Lawn Boys. We didn't get a 36" walk behind until we were about 17. I've also had good luck with flyers. Pass out as many as you can before the season starts or on rainy days when you can't work. You can always turn down work if you have more than you can handle. As far as people trying to take advantage of you, give them your price and stand behind it. If they don't like it, walk away. Also keep in mind that any contracts that you and your clients enter into are non-binding until you are 18, so be careful. I hope this helps you. Mike

9. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Most kids at 14 1/2 are not even thinking of working yet your set up looksd good for starting out hell there are some companies in my city with less HA! HA! Your flier says unavailable for viewing so I will try later. Keep your first accounts happy stick to your price and let the best advertising work for you "WORD OF MOUTH" good luck! Will that tractor pull your trailer and equipment? hope your close accounts are close and dont forget to throw in an extra gas can !

10. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

- I was thinking the exact same thing !!! You are 14.5 years old !!! How are you going to move that trailer around !!! Don't tell me where you live they are handing out driver lic. at age 14 !!! My man... stick to a small little operation with 1 mower and go around door to door for new work.. you have plenty of time to buy all the equipment you want in the future !!! Not for nothing... but 14 years old... enjoy life and have fun... there's no reason to be working "full time"