1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help me please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cp, Mar 13, 2001.

1. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Hi guys, I'm just getting started and without going into all the details would like to hear some advice from pros. I've already got the lawyer, CPA, Banker, and equipment dealer on the move. All I need now is enough customers for me to quit my current job and go full time.. All comments welcome.

Thanks, Chris.....
  2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

LOL Thats what im working on now with my brother and myself. we did start last year so we have a bit of a jump on you, but we are STILL working on narrowing down our costs to operate which dictates to a point how you are going to bid on work, afterall you need to know what you need to make a profit!! All i can say is be determined and do all your research right here!! These guys have helped me in ways i cant even begin to tell. Advertise!!!!!!! Now immediately get everything rolling be systematic organized and set goals, then its all how bad you want it!!!! Good luck
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Try advertising with flyers in the neighborhoods you want to target.

Purchase hydrostatic equipment to enable you to continue mowing under wet conditions efficiently.

Search the archives for pricing ideas on the different services you plan to offer.

Good Luck this season!
  4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, i'm going to give both of some advice because i was in the same boat as you and many might say i am. i'm only 18 and have been in business for 4 years. its going to be a struggle, take any kind of work that you can,without lowballing. passout as many fliers out as you can, talk to business owners and ask if they would a bid from you, talk to your dealer, put your name in at your city hall that you are in this type of business, talk to relitives, family, friends, to keep a ear open if someone brings it up they can recommened you. and pray
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine wanted to get more mowing contracts. He liked mowing but didn't like to seek new business. I said that I could sell work for him for a commision. He agreed. I really didn't know much about how long it took to mow these yards. But he told me he liked to get 100.00 per hour for mowing (if I could get it). There were two of them mowing and they could really knock out the mowing fast. He met me out on a couple of commercial jobs to help me bid them. After that I knew what to bid. I got leads from calling all big businesses in the area. Most bids were wrapped up by February so I asked them to put me on their list of contractors to call. Others said that they would take a bid or not. Selling is where it's at. I would call a business and ask for the person in charge of grounds maintance. Once transferred I would state my name and company then ask if I could bid on their ground maintance. This sounds better than saying - can I bid your mowing job. On large companies we sometimes got sprinkler service, fertilizing, mulching, even mowing! I got to talking to the owner of a business and he said that his wife was on him to mulch his own house. So I said - If I dump a truck load of red died mulch on your drive for free would you give me this job. He said hell yes. That was a 650.00 per month job he gave me. It's a good thing just to keep your ears open. You'll know when your bids are too low, you'll get too much work and not make any big money. If you get 3 out of ten bids your right in there. I think if you bid low then it keeps ALL the contractors down. Don't forget to figure how long it takes to get to the job, unload equipment and load up. This can cut into your profits. Let your customers sell jobs for you. I did this with great success. Tell a resitential customer that you will take off 5% if he gets one neighbor within a block to cut thier lawn. 10% off if he gets two or more. We had two occasions of this and this was a money maker. Good luck. Start part time. Cut as many lawns as you can stand it. Then quit your job. Here in the midwest if you don't at least make $50.00 per hour you can't afford your equipment,insurance, fuel, break downs, insurance, phones, insurance. $75 to 100$ is a good range to shoot for. Then your not patching old equipment. You buy new ones every 2 years.
  6. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to all that have replied and to those not yet written.. I am going at this thing full blast and I will let you guys know how I do...
  7. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I would plan the attack and attack the plan.