Help me price my first yard!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rowdyz92, Aug 22, 2013.

1. rowdyz92

rowdyz92 LawnSite Member

So this is my first yard I have had to price since starting my lawn care business the other 3 yards i have done were just yards I took over from other people and charged the same as the other guy, so this is the first one I actually have to price out and its an account I really want. I checked the property size with google acreage, and it comes out to 1.4 acres the best i can tell. In the aerial shot its the one that looks like a dirt yard( this is an old photo from when the house was new over a year ago) Thanks for the help and suggestions!

ivylake.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
  2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you're kinda new at it just compare it to your other properties and adjust accordingly.

3. Mowin4Dollas

Mowin4Dollas LawnSite Member

Figure out what you want to put in your pocket at the end of the day. (Make it reasonable and ethical) Figure out fuel, insurance, marketing, etc. and figure out your time. If you can mow an acre an hour. (hopefully a little more than that) and price that puppy. No one can give you a price because no on knows your market like you do!

4. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

You can use the tools on the gopherforum as a starting point for your estimates, and then adjust to your particulars:

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7898

There are several available there, the first two are the important ones for you.

5. rowdyz92

rowdyz92 LawnSite Member

im thinking $75 per cut. What do you all think about that too low or about right?

6. Eric's Lawnservice

Eric's Lawnservice LawnSite Member

Buy a wheel and physically measure the turf. This way you know first hand what obstacles you have to contend with. Also it gives you a number you can present to you prospective customer along with the estimate. Also you get a chance to measure any mulch beds or get a good look at any shrubs to trim. This way you already have the numbers on two good up-sells.

7. rowdyz92

rowdyz92 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments but id appreciate if someone would tell me what they would charge that would give me a starting point thanks!

8. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like mostly mowing, and some trimming along the drive. I would go $60.

9. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, depends on what size mower you going to use. The price I stated is with my equipment, a 52" and a 48" running at the same time.

10. rowdyz92

rowdyz92 LawnSite Member

Wow 60$ for 1.4 acres im way off, by the way i have 1 52 inch