Help me put together a client questionaire please!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Oct 26, 2004.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I need some ideas, questions and comments on a questionnaire that I was going to mail out to my regular maintenance and maybe some of my one-time seasonal clients. Here is what I have so far.

Please answer the question on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being "least important" and a 5 being the "most important". Keep in mind that I will have a scale of ovals that the client will blacken with their answer.

How important is it for your lawn care provider to:
    Where uniforms
    Have a clean truck
    Have clean equipment

How important is:
    Price
    Job well done
    Appearance
    Dependability
    Insured

Do you prefer to be contacted in the spring or is automatically being renewed fine with you?

If anyone has an example of their questionnaire or survey, feel free to upload it. If it is in Word or Excel format, that is fine. I was going to send a self addressed envelope with a stamp with each questionnaire and also ask for them to mail it back with no return address to keep the survey anonymous.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Doh!

Doh! LawnSite Member

I would change dependability to something like, having your lawn mowed at a regularly scheduled time...

Also maybe ask what additional services they would be willing to seek from their lawn-care provider, i.e. mulching, planting, fert.

By the way, from almost all of my customers I have heard that consistency, and by that I mean showing up every week, is the number one success factor that they appreciate.

What is the goal of your survey? To charge more? or find additional services to offer? This might help you design the questions to ask. good luck.

3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

sp: wear uniforms.

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

LOL....haha...thanks. I consider myself a fairly decent speller and missed that one...haha.

Doh!....I guess the main reason for the survey is to approve upon customer service. I like the idea about what other services they may be interested in. I always remind them in the spring, with a letter, about all other services offered. I don't push them too much, but will probably more next spring (and this fall with leaf removals).

5. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I think the "how important is" should be like so..

Which of the following is the most important to you when choosing a LCO.(

1. Service..............___
    2. Honesty.............___
    3. Quality...............___

If you run crews...I think you should ask how often would you like me to contact you, and how?..........in person, phone, e-mail, or reg mail.

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

And list them in order of importance? That was my orginal thought on this question. I don't run crews.....yet.

7. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Matt,

If your customers have email try using surveymonkey. It's free and works great for surveys and puts together a chart for your survey results. Go to url link: http://www.surveymonkey.com

Good luck, LCME

8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I also included

How satisfied are you with the service we have provided this year.

How may we improve.

9. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Every time I take my car to the dealer, or a number of other things, the phone is ringing when I get home asking...was your technician friendly blah blah blah. I ask them if I could go back to the old fashion way, let me call you if I an not satisfied! My mail box is filled with surveys that I throw in the trash.

Our philosophy is to learn what customers do not want, from their complaint calls, rather than ask them what they want. We think it is a much clearer survey of how to structure the way we offer our services. For example, we started out with new trucks that were clean, & 1 season, our Mexicans used their trucks (could not have looked worse) as sub contractors, & 2 customers out of 1,000 even noticed. So, we now we buy 2-3 year old trucks that are not dumpy, but OK.

We respond quickly with a redo if the customer calls, but try to never ask them to do anything (especially how should I run my business) because it will remind them to do something that is usually not to our advantage. We sign them up on the phone with Credit Card AutoCharge, & if we do a good job, never mail an invoice which is a reminder (hey I cant afford this) their busy life goes on, & we have them as a customer for years.

Please understand that this post does not dis credit the use of surveys, just our view in our market, with our age & income group, & using employee crews.
    MJ

10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Walker Talker,
    I doesn't hurt to throw in at the bottom if they know anyone else that could use your service to put down the contact information and if it is ok to use their name when calling that prospect.

Buck