1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

help me rewire my manual start wb?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by seymour_glass, Apr 16, 2006.

1. seymour_glass

seymour_glass LawnSite Member

My old scag's wiring is messed up, and it won't start for me. I got it second hand, and it was always a little iffy, but now it looks like I ought to just bite the bullet and rewire it the way it's supposed to be.

I don't know much about electronics, so maybe someone can answer a quick question or two? Attached is a picture of the two terminals on my engine, a kawasaki. Also attached is the schematic from my manual.

Which terminal goes with which on the schematic?

Also, in the schematic the two terminals make a circuit, but on my mower the black wire leading from the right terminal wraps around and behind the oil drain and into the engine. Only the red wire goes into the transmission, ignition, etc. Whats the deal with that? Should there be a second wire attached the that terminal? Down in that mess of wires there is an unattached lead (see the seocnd attachment). Should that be attached the the right terminal?

Ok, it's pretty obvious I have no idea what I'm doing. But this can't be too hard, right? So hopefully if someone knowledgable can nudge me in the right direction I can do this. And tips/help would be much appreciated!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK seymour, From the pics. it looks like somebody has re-wired this unit before. The red wire connected to the throttle plate is the ground wire for the circuit. The black wire is the feed wire from the ignition coil which can not be hooked to ground as it looks in the pic., It must hook to maybe that loose wire you see in the harness to complete the circuit.
    Maybe this helps ? .....