Help me select a backpack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SomervilleLawncare, Jan 5, 2008.

1. SomervilleLawncare

SomervilleLawncare LawnSite Member

I'm looking into buying my first backpack blower. I've searched through previous threads and am more confused now than I was before. I have been looking into the stihl line, but lots of people seem to like the redmax and echo brands. What do you guys recommend for a good starter blower with prices? Thanks Guys!

TOOLSHACK LawnSite Member

Redmax and Echo make two of the best blowers on the market. Redmax EBZ8001 and ECHO PB-755 are the big, bad blowers. You'll also need to determine whether you want the hip-mounted throttle or the tube-mounted throttle.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I like my Stihl though a few people who have worked for me say it sucks. Starts everytime first pull, blows a ton of air... I dont know what sucks about it. I have had bad experiances with Echo. IMO they never want to start and when they do they need to sit and warm up for a while, but when they do warm up they are great.

Also the Stihl is really comfy when your walking around with it.
    my .02
  4. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

What does your dealer sell?
    I'd go with a Redmax if you have the local support.
    I have two: One is 5 seasons used, the other is on its 6th.
  5. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

br 6oo no more questions
  6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

That is why I switched to Stihl as well & the BR600 blower.

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

all blower are about the same,, echo redmax stihl i'd get the largest,, one i have the echo620,, this the 1st yr with this machine,, does a great job,, though,, but most of friends have the 755,, the largest echo sells,,and most powerful, but,, i need a lighter weight one cause of back problems,,echo are a little cold natured,,but when they warm up they do a great job,,my dealer told me that the 620 was a good seller,,90 % of my machine are echo with real good results,,, and on red max get the 7001 don't know much about them but i hear good results from them,, the one i have has the tubemount throttle,, which i like,,easy to use,, good luck on what u decide on !!!!:waving:
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

This thread, like all other blower threads, can go on forever. What it comes down to is what you need, what you like, and what you can get good dealer support for.
    Having read about 2 million of these threads, and having owned several BP blowers and several handhelds, here's my $.02;

Stihl BR 600, 20.9lbs 712/1012 CFM w/ & w/o tube at 201 mph, proven performer, Pound for pound the most powerful blower made. Most owners love them.

Redmax 7000 line, 21.4 lbs, 742 CFM at 204mph, proven power and performance, most owners love them

Redmax 8000 line, 24.9 lbs, 943 CFM at 203 mph, proven performance, but a little heavy, won't find more power.. look at those cfms! Most owners love them

Echo 755, Heavy 26.2 lbs, 625 CFM at 205 mph. Not a bad blower, Most owners like them.

Hope this helps... I've owned and own Echo, they are good machines, but if you look at the weight to power ratio, they are way behind Stihl and Redmax. Remember cfm moves material.

Good luck.
  9. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i use my Echo PB620 more the last 3 months and man i love it more.lots of dang nuts and wet leaves and small sticks and this blows them good.
  10. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member