1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help me select a ZTR: Turf Tiger, Z149, or Lazer Z HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Geordon, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Geordon

Geordon LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting a ZTR for my own use on a 1 acre lawn. Will consider doing a couple of neighbor's, if they are interested.
    Here is what I am looking at:

Scag Turf Tiger 52" 22HP LC Kawasaki, 2000 model demo w/ 260hours. Runs great, tires and paint are quite worn. $5900.

Toro Z Master Z149 52" 19HP Kawasaki, 2001 model, new. $5950.

eXmark Lazer Z HP 52" 23HP Kawasaki, 2002 model, 0 hrs. $7000.

I started out looking at Scag, until I read this forum, then took a look at the Toro and eXmark. The Scag only has 8" wide tires, and a fairy bumpy ride, though I like the dealer, and this has a little larger frame.

I am not a big Toro man, but the price seems good for a new unit, and the dealer is the same as for the Scag. He also carries Simplicity, where I almost bought the Legacy 25HP 60" tractor.

I will shortly get to demo the eXmark, so can't speak for the ride and handling. The dealer is just as convenient for me and friendly, though I haven't done business with before (he also sells JD). They are a much bigger outfit, and appear to move a lot of units, so are less generous on the price breaks, even this close to snow at the end of the season.

BTW, I currently mow with a mid-80's Simplicity 7117 garden tractor w/ 48" deck.

So, the question is... How would my money best be spent between these 3 choices?

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

buddy all three are good you are in a position to demo . look at them hard . i can tell you the exmark is hard to beat ,but i gotta believe the scag and toro are good to . do search on this forum.
    then make your decision.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from that demo unit with 260 hours......you just never know how hard it was used, especially if most of the hours were put on it by people who didn't own it and didn't care about it. I own a 2001 Exmark 52"/23 Kaw and absolutly love it. Depending on your budget, I would go for the Exmark, it just cant be beat.
  4. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm running Exmark 23 Kawasaki 60". Great machine! Nuff said!
  5. kroll

kroll LawnSite Member

For $1100.00 Diff. buy the new Exmark
    on 1 acre it should last for ever (almost)
    The others are good machines but with new you know what you have & what has been done to it.
    and a warranty just in case because things can happen to any machine
  6. Tony

Tony LawnSite Member

Buy from the dealer you like, The 52" Toro w/19 HP Kawasaki engine would be a great choice. It will have a great resale value or trade in allowance if you ever move or decide to trade. The price is a very good one so happy mowing. Tony
  7. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Geordon, You dealing with D&G in Mason ?
  8. Geordon

Geordon LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. Here is some additional information:

All machines are under full warranty.

Yes, the Exmark is from D&G in Mason (3 mi from my house). Been working with Jason and Bill. The other dealer is about 6 mi away :)

Adding to the mix: D&G is dropping off an Exmark Turf Tracer HP ECS 17HP Kawa 52" tomorrow for me to try out over the weekend. ($4300 for demo w/ warranty). The Z's are definately fun to drive, but I figured for this much money, I better cover all the bases and see if I can live with a Hydro walk behind.

And to top it off, a neighbor has a 1-1/2 year old Scag Tiger Cub 21HP Kawa 52" w/ 150 hrs on it for $6500/BO.

Thanks for the help,

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark Lazer HP can't be beat! Makes cutting fun. Factory reps are great and they are always willing to help when needed. They have their act together, why do you think Toro bought them and have them build their Z units. Can't beat them, buy them!
  10. dhicks

dhicks Member

Go for the eXmark. However coma if you have access to a Hustler dealer, you may want to try the Huster Super-Z. The Hustler is one sweet machine.