Help me think of a project idea....

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 14, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I want a project ideas, I have a 8hp B&S vertical shaft electric start engine, transmission and drive wheels/tires, and steering components and front wheels (16x6.50x8) rear tires are 18". Tranny is a 3 speed gear drive (belt drive from engine). I also have miscellaneous decks laying around, all single blade 19-22" and 30". Other misc. wheels and a couple push mower engines that work and a couple trannys from self propelled push mowers. Also have a 61" Scag deck I might use, and a rear engine rider with an 8hp B&S electric start vertical shaft and 32" deck, 16" tires on back. It works perfectly. 5 speed belt drive tranny, chain drive from tranny to rear axle. Any ideas? Take two 8hp B&S and put on 61" Scag deck and make a drive system to make a walk behind? I dunno.. I might be able to get a blower and hose (minus engine) from a lawn vac. Some sort of catcher rig maybe.
    Ideas wanted!! got any?????
    thanks,
    Eric

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Self propelled wheel barrow.

Mark

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

No use for one. I have a 10 cu. ft. cart I made that I use for all that stuff. Pull it behind riding mower. thanks though,
    Eric

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

how bout you try to grow your business instead of farting arround in the garage. I know that you want to grow, so why dont you get aggressive and start moving towards your goal? Not trying to give you a hard time, just some direction. Now is the prime time to do proposals for new props.

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Maclawnco, had to laugh as I read your reply. It didn't come off rude sounding at all. Rather hard to grow at this time of year. I am trying to find parts manuals for my eXmark 32" Metro w/b mower so I can re assemble it and get the missing parts for it. I plan to have it to use next year. I will use my folk's E 350 Ford van (full size basically same as a F350) until I can get my own vehicle to use. Then maybe I will rebuild the Scag STHM 61" mower and have a good setup. Thanks,
    Eric

6. MacLawnCo

Bushy,

Its not hard to grow this time of year, at least for commercial. Call arround, see if they are taking bids, shake the bushes. You have to activley search for work you know until you get big enough to turn it down. Res is another situation. If you want to stay res, wait till late feb or early march, and then do classy flyers followed by calls to those whom you passes out flyers to.

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I would love commercials but they tend to be bigger around here (well alot of them anyway) and a 32" wouldn't be profitable. Of course, those with many islands and small areas it would be great. But they usually want heftier insurance than a 15 year old can get?? I suppose I could get it in my dad's name? I'd have to get alot of them to afford the right kind of insurance. I'm not against it at all but I need to know I will have enough work to pay for it. Seems like residential would be better to get me off my feet. Then work over to commercials?
    Thanks
    Eric

8. MacLawnCo

Eric,

I think you would be surprised how little insurance costs. I have 2 mil of liability and about 10K theft for my machines for less than $300 per year. It is through am fam insurance. I think you may have to have your parents get it for you, or you could register your business and have the bus by the insurance.

If you plan on expanding, i would seriously look into other machines. Im not knocking eitrher of your projects(thats all they are) because if they run well, they will make great backups, but you are crazy to use them as your main machines. You need to get a few good contracts for next year and get a 48" gear wb. You will be amazed how well it will do for you and guess what! Its affordable. Most dealers will give you 90 days same as cash(with your parents signature) and then just pay it off in those 90 days. You may not show much profit, but you will have a great machine that will last a long time and do a great job. Then as you expand even more, you will have little overhead and except for taxes, it will be all profit.

DO go for the commercial, but start small. Most commercial facilities admire a young guy that has aniciative. THey may give you preference over larger LCOs they have for me in the past. Do not under bid these though. If you do, they will think you have no idea what you are talking about and will be hesitant to sign you. Once you have a few of these contracts, show your parents your financial pedictions for the next year and ask them to get you the 90 SAC next spring. My parents wanted me to have the work before i got the machines since they did not want to get stuck with an unpayed for mower.

Give it some thought and then go ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK.:drinkup:

9. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Hmmm... thanks for the hint about insurance cost. We called our local insurance company at beginning of this year to talk about it and they never called back :confused: :rolleyes:
    I would hate to go get insurance and try to get one or two accounts but not enough to get a new mower although I'd love a new one... I mean, hate to be stuck with the account but then not be able to afford a mower to do them with. Then what do you suggest? Besides, my parents somehow don't understand that I need a new mower (we have been through this before :rolleyes: apparently they see that I have a mower that cuts great and works and thats all they think I need. Screw professional image! Lets show up with a rear engine rider that is 15 years old! Yea what a great idea :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:
    Also I want a mower that will fit on islands if I'm gonna do commercial. Will a 48" do that? It has to cut and stripe great with minimal modifications. eXmark definately sounds good but we have a good Scag dealer too and great Toro dealer as well. This spring when I was pricing, the eXmark was cheaper but none of these places had any special deals going. The Toro dealer is by far the best dealer around, not had much experience with the rest. I got a new Stihl FS80 trimmer at the Toro dealer (sells Dixie's also) and they treated me as if I had just bought a $10k DC. Knowing I would return in the future I suppose. They have always been great to me there. But, I end up having to cut alot of high growth in spring especially and I don't want a Toro SFS (Super Flow System) deck because they dont' chop up clippings good but I hear they do stripe good... If their mulch kit takes down thick stuff at a good speed that might be alright. Mulch kit would be good actually for islands and other small areas. Will want it to come on and off quick. Also, my parents compare this years's success with all that I am capable of. This year was ok earlier but not great only a few regulars and a couple occasional fill in's. So everytime i talk to them about expanding next year, they are like well why do you need a new mower? the one you got works for what you have here. You didn't get that many jobs this year. I try to point out that I only put out 150 flyers too and no other advertising (flyers actually only got two of my jobs). They just don't get it. :( :( :( :confused: :rolleyes: :(
    Thanks,
    Eric :blob4:

10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

You two should just exchange numbers. LOL. As for winter projects, i am all for them. You can expand your business while working on your projects. I do it every winter. Last year i painted the upstairs in my house. This year i have a 4 wheeler i bought to fix up and sell to make a little money. Than there is my ol' Harley i need to fix up. I say keep the projects coming!