Help me understand about these 2 different honda engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by petscanning, Mar 26, 2012.

1. petscanning

petscanning LawnSite Senior Member

So I was deciding between a hrx or hrc model. I know the hrc is commercial but I noticed the hrx has a 190cc engine but the hrc has a 160cc. I guess the hrc must have beeter quality parts maybe? I dont know just curious.
    Your probably saying why not just buy the commercial one. Well last year I bought a hrr model and it has the consumer 160cc engine from a guy for $125 and I have used the crap out of it and it still works great and I have gotten my investment back almost a 100 fold. Ive done leaves to yards and it starts first time every time so why should I really put out 1k for a commercial mower? I did buy a toro timemaster and that was 1k but it has cut my time down dramatically. Anyway this is a question about the engine differences
  2. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

if your asking about the engine difference commercial engines last a lot longer and are gx..consumer engines are gc
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

From somebody who has mowed hundreds of lawns per week and has used both commercial and homeowner quality equipment, I would definitely recommend commercial equipment. There really is no comparison, the commercial is simply better.

I prefer Toro but I suppose that the Honda would be a good choice as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

HRC engine= commercial, more durable, bigger crankshaft and more power.
    HRX engine= homeowner, not as HD as HRC, smaller crankshaft, a bit less power.

I would go for the HRC216HXA.
  5. petscanning

I guess I just didnt understand that the commercial has a 160cc where the high end residential has 190cc
  6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago. It's a bit odd that they offer more horsepower on the homeowner machines than on the commercial units.

I have a 36" walk-behind that I use whenever I can, but a few yards still require use of a 21". I studied for a long time on here, and decided on the HRX 217 VKA (the one with the thumb drive). It's rated as a homeowner grade machine, but it has mowed many a yard now, and still works like new. It's not as heavy as a commercial unit, and it has the additional benefit of the mulch/bag lever on top of the deck. It mulches well, and bags excellent. Leaves a very nice cut with the double blade setup. I couldn't be happier with it.

They also make one with a different transmission, but, from reading on here, it seems like they go thru drive cables a lot. That's why I chose this one.
  7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It's the same way with a lot of string trimmers and hedgers etc.
    The HO models almost always have larger displacement engines. They have to make them bigger to get any decent amount of time/durability out of them since the components that are used in them are far less durable. The only way to make them last is to go big which reduces the amount of strain enough to make them last longer. They still won't last near as long as commercial enigines as a whole, even though there are sometimes exceptions.
  8. petscanning

Thanks for the info all
  9. ShooterK2

Petscanning, if you will do a search on here, there was a fella named Roger that did extensive testing with one of the HRX Hondas. He used it full time for a couple of years (or maybe longer), put hundreds of hours on it, and, if I remember correctly, only had a cable or two break during that time. I don't think he ever had engine trouble with the machine. This has been a couple of years ago or so. I'll see if I can find the thread and post the link here....
  10. ShooterK2