Help me understand.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coolluv, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Texas Lawn

Texas Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Lets say you are making a little over $1000 a month, which I do not consider a lot unless you are single and live rent free at home. Do you not pay for gas? Now lets say one of your machines break down, thats a big chunk out of your monthly income. Your also banking this success on the fact that you are not running a legitimate operation. You dont pay taxes and you dont pay insurance. If you are paying, then you do not have financial success unless you have no living expenses.

2. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh please... not the machine broke down!!! $75.00/hr with mins just to look at it!
    And what do I do in the meantime? How do I keep up with my customers yards? Gaurenteed middle of the season, NOBODY is going to get a quick turn around.
    Hmm.... back up machine maybe?

3. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Well yeah I have 1 mill liability for $800 a year and commercial auto for an extra $200. I used up a bunch of gas passing out baggies and such. Does that count too?

Dave...

4. coolluv

from Atlanta

So if I'm a DBA I can't use those for my start up costs?

Dave...

5. coolluv

from Atlanta

I had to replace a belt and buy some new blades and trimmer line and edger blades, man you go threw some edger blades quick. So that stuff counts too?

And here I thought I was making money.

Dave...

6. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

These are the cost people don't think about. Sure you can make a $1,000 a month but when you take out all of your overhead(Blow a 27hp motor on a ZTR and it's over $2,000).figure in what you made per hour it doesn't always come out like it did in your head...

7. coolluv

from Atlanta

See that's what I don't understand, I see so many posts about guys being able to charge less because they have no overhead.

I'm confused now....:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Dave...

8. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you not keep track of what you spend and where? Even your time?
    The day doesn't end because there's no grass to cut.
    Who does your billing?
    Who does your maintenance? Sharpens your blades, changes the oil, lubes?
    Do you want to "survive", or make a living?

9. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

They lie or don't count it......Even if your equipment is paid for there is maintenance and replacement cost.

10. coolluv

from Atlanta

Well I just figured since I had nothing else to do that that doesn't really count. You mean that's part of overhead too?

Dave...