Help me understand.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by coolluv, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just sticking to my plan and hopefully it'll work out.

2. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Yeah they operate all over Atlanta, I'm glad I found that site because I couldn't remember who it was so I started looking and got lucky and found it. Anyway I have some bi weekly's right now and I don't plan on dropping them, but I won't take on anymore. The problem with those types of customers are they come and go and you never know how long they will stay with you. They rarely will refer you to other customers, and if they do the customer is just another cheap #$$.

You hear a lot of guys talk about referrals and how they are the best customers, which is true. But if you build your customer base off of these types then you will never grow because typically or at least from my own experience, they don't refer you, they come and go to often, they are low profit and in the end are not worth it. It seems like every year I pick up a decent amount of new customers, but I also lose customers from the year before. You know the type, come every two weeks and then call to skip when the lawn slows down because you had a few weeks without rain and in there opinion not yours, "the lawn doesn't need to be mowed this week" , so now your going every 3 wks on a lousy $30 or $35 lawn.

Pull up that customers account info at the end of the year and see how much you actually made, not the fantasy number you figured when you through out that number in the beginning when you thought you would be there every other week. So the outcome is slow growth on cheap customers that you go through like toilet paper and you slowly starve to death.

Illegals and the newbies can have them.

Dave...

3. MDLawn

Thats why I love quickbooks. Gives me instant detailed info on income per customer. That way I know who to keep when it comes time to add and drop. Plus it tells you the truth on income, as long as you enter EVERYTHING. Its amazing how much goes into running the business.

Referrals are not always the best but getting in a great neighborhood can showcase your work to potential clients.

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice post MD, nice post.

5. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribed!

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh::laugh:

Should of known better after looking at your Join Date in your Avatar.:hammerhead:

7. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Gotcha!:laugh::laugh:

Dave...

8. MDLawn

Is this real or sarcastic?

9. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Thoroughly real. I won't waste my time or yours being sarcastic.

10. MDLawn

I figured but with the written word you can never tell :) For the first few years I was lost and just playing follow the leader, without know who the leader was. After some "learning experiences" I made up my mind to do one thing and one thing only.....my way. If it works then I did something right, if not I'll have to re-evaluate to see what went wrong or ask for guidance. Too many continue to play follow the leader, even if the leader is wrong or failing.