Help me understand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mikes Lawn Landscape, May 29, 2004.

1. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have a customer that has 2 acres with probably 40 maybe 50 trees on the property. The landscaping is nothing out of the ordinary. One section is about 3/4 of an acre that is shaped kinda odd so I circle it instead of doing Z turns

It takes me 2 hours just to mow with a 52" Z.

I have other props that have similar trees and landscaping that are 1 acre and they take 30 to 40 minutes just to mow.

So my question is why in the heck is this 2 acre prop taking 2 hours to mow. I figure based on its size and configuration it should take 1.5 hours max

Anyone got in insight or suggestions

:confused:

2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you actually measured the properties or are you guessing?

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Mike you only need to mow that section by the pool one time not four times.

4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Yep I pulled a plat of the lot to verify its 2 acres.

hehehehehehe no pool to distract me dishboy.

Here's a theory what do guys think of this.

1 acre = 43,560 sq ft - house - beds - driveway = about 30,000 sq ft of mowing. Now add the 2nd acre so its 73,000 sq ft of mowing instead of a typical 30,000 which is 2.5 times the size of a normal 1 acre property. That may account for some of the time.

Anybody got any ideas.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Defiantly a problem there. Sounds like the obstacles and shapes are killing you. Though many do not agree with me, I never charge residential by the size of acreage. I charge accordingly with obstacles and time I feel it will take. I would much rather cut a wide open 2 acre property, then a 3/4 acre with obstacles.
    ;)