Help me with enclosed trailer size!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Westbrooklawn, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in the business for 15 years now and have always used open trailers. I am now looking at enclosed trailers. For those of you who have made the switch, or have always used enclosed trailers, what do you think is the most practical size enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance.

Market we service is mainly high end residential, and some commercial, using an F250 truck with 2 or 3 man crew.

I am torn between 16', 18' or 20' for length, and 7' or 8' width. I am thinking 18-20 foot might be too large to manuever in residential areas? I also question the need for 8' width. Please respond if you have experience using enclosed trailers for this type application.

Thanks in advance.........

2. EhlingerLawns

EhlingerLawns LawnSite Member

as far as trailer size goes we run an 8.5'x20' and wish wed have gone bigger going with a wider trailer makes it easier to work inside .

3. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

EhlingerLawn - Thanks for the quick response. Does the 20' length present any problems in manueverability?

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I dont know if you have checked prices with any dealers in your area, but check out this site, might be worth a ride to Hickory. There price on a 24 footer is cheaper than I can get a 16 footer here in Va. I dont have an enclosed trailer I use an open so I cant comment on the size.

http://www.hickoryinclosed.com/currentinventory.html

5. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

I'm real new in the lawn business but I started with a 6.5 X 16 open trailer and recently got a 7 X 16 closed in haulmark. I have an aluminum tool box mounted in the front and can still get a JD 275 and an exmark lazer z with 60" deck in it. It pulls real good with a 97 F150 V6. I mounted my echo's on the wall with J shaped ladder holders like you would mount on a building to hold a ladder. Works great.

6. EhlingerLawns

EhlingerLawns LawnSite Member

the length doesnt restrict too much one thing to consider is future growth in your company ........ right now we have three ztrs on that trailer and have both sides covered in vinyl advertising it litterlay looks like a 20' billboard

7. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Westbrooklawn,

8. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Westbrooklawn,
    I have used both kinds of trailers. Presently I use a 16' open trailer. I lke the ability to fuel up and crank my walk behind without having to open doors. However there are times when I wish everything was enclosed for theft and weather reasons. Length wise just remember you have to turn all that stuff around in culdesacs and some tight spots. How much equipment do you have to store? I have a walk behind 44" and a 52" Zturn, and one 22" push along with a wheel blower. All of which fits fine in either trailer. I guess it is personal preference and how much money you have friend.

9. randallwise

randallwise LawnSite Member

I've got an 8.5x16 trailer, actually a car hauler. The extra width makes a great difference when you have a few guys in getting equipment at the same time. No climbing over each other or equipment. In & out efficiently. In addition, makes more space to utilize the walls for tool racks and shelves.

You can see my rig here:

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=1411225&IID=45947778&T=1

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=1411225&IID=45500532&T=1

I painted the inside white to open it up a little. Wood just feels to dark. I sprayed the floor, ramp, and an 18" cove w/ Vortex spray liner. Makes it nice to hose the thing out and keep the wood from chipping up. I've since sprayed the shelves on the front, too.

RSW

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We like narrow short for residential, parking is problem in our area. Most of the lots are 60' wide..little place to park. The only problem is starting the rope pull hydro units. We had to build a metal shield on the gas tanks because the guys were pulling the rope against it when starting. Just be sure you get enough axle and frame strength to haul heavy mowers.