Help me with lawn care plan.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by burkcs, Sep 13, 2007.

1. burkcs

burkcs LawnSite Member

I am looking to get on a lawn care plan that is bullet proof. I mow my lawn every 3-4 days mostly with a reel mower and I water religously. I have Bermuda turf in NW Atlanta GA. A friend recommended the below plan. Would you mind scrutinizing it or providing your opinion. Thanks

Lesco: Mid FEB to MAR 0-0-7 with Dimension

April 25-0-10 with Dimension

Mid June to July 28-5-12 with 2% iron

Mid August to Sept. Same as June

Mid Oct to Nov. 0-0-7 with Dimension

Dec. Lime

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

why three applications of dimension? are you using split applications?

i would also do some soil testing before adding lime every year!

nothing is bullet proof, mother nature plays a very important part, i adjust as i go depending on current conditions

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Is it tif or standard bermuda? Have you scalped the lawn yet? Ampeg knows his stuff, cuz it's been years since I did lawn care in Dallas/Houston/San Antonio.

4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

he he, i need to know more about bermuda for sure:)

try barricade(prodiamine) for longer residual

thanks for the shout out though

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

For what its worth--i am from Michigan. I would add a Bermuda-suited weed control in June and October. Are you trying to control Poa with the fall Dimension?
    Is the lawn irrigated? You can fertilize if irrigated, if not, it may be dormant.

Do you plan to overseed for winter? Special problems that may need attention: nutsedge, cinchbugs, what ever grubs, insects and disease you guys have down in Atlanta.

6. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Check with your county extension service for their recommendations on Nitrogen Lbs/year. Down here for hybrid bermuda it's 5-6 lbs per year.

It's fun pounding tif with N!

. . . and there are much better ferts than Lesco.

Keep searching here! Methylene Urea and Ammonium sulfate blends produce a deep beautiful green on bermuda compared to Lesco's SCU and Urea blends. I always recommend Scotts Southern Turf builder to homeowners who ask. And don't discount a Milorganite app just before emergence from dormancy, and perhaps again during the blistering heat of summer.

7. burkcs

burkcs LawnSite Member

Hey, thanks for the replys.

I will try to answer some of your questions.

1. My guess is I have standard Bermuda (or the cheapest variety my builder could get his hands on)
    2. Yes, I do have irrigation.
    3. I am not sure why my friend has three applications of dimension in his schedule other then to ensure no weeds.
    4. I want to control all weeds. Never using dimension before I have no experience with the product. My local Lesco recommended dimension over barricade.
    5. I have heard some good things about Lebanon with Mesa fert. and the color it provides.

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Mesa is excellent. That's what I use.

9. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

The plan isn't bad, however but you may want to consider splitting the dimension apps around the Feb to March round OR you can use one app of Lesco 0-0-8 .43% Stonewall (barricade).

Regarding ferts, you're fine, just make sure you blow your concrete areas off or you will see black spots from the iron.

Also, since you water religiously you may want to consider some sort of broadleaf weed control because some weeds will emerge despite your preemergent apps.

Oh yeah.. you have the tiftsport 419 bermuda variety... Very common in GA.

10. burkcs

burkcs LawnSite Member

John,

When you talk about splitting the Dimension do you mean applying it at 1/2 strength?

Is the Barricade a good broadleaf control product?