HELP me with my Cherry Tree!

Discussion in 'The Green Guardian' started by wheeler604, Mar 22, 2008.

1. wheeler604

wheeler604 LawnSite Member

I just happened to google upon this site so I don't know if anyone will be able to help. I have a 25' cherry tree in my back yard. Bought this building about 3 years ago in Chicago and my boyfriend was convinced the tree was dead. Well come that first summer it was sprouting off cherries like nobodys business. I didn't think they were edible (I don't know why I thought that) until my tenants upstairs were on a ladder picking and eating all the cherries! They were great! The second summer I was too late... by the time I got to the cherries there were little worms that bore into the fruit. I didn't think you could eat them after that... so heres my question: How do I get rid of the worms? Or do I just pick them before the worms get to them? AND How do I get to the really high cherries? I mean they are about 25-30' in the air! Do I just leave them? Is there some sort of "special" tool? I also noticed that part of the tree looks like it was bore out by a woodpecker... I don't know if we have woodpeckers in the city of Chicago but thats the only way to describe the huge hole in the trunk.... thanks for any advise you can give me!