Help me with some numbers.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WHIPPLE5.7, Jan 20, 2008.

1. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

They say that you get a 2-3% return on advertising in most cases. My situation is alittle different though. I know an LCO that quit the biz a couple of months ago leaving about 75 accounts out in the open. He is now broke and agreed to give all the names and addresses of his old accounts for a mere $50. I'm obviously going to hit up those folks with door hangers. I'm a solo looking for about 50 total accounts. I already have 5 dedicated from last year but how many more door hangers should I put out there since my situation may leave me with a much higher return than 2-3%? I don't want so many calls that I'll have to start turning people down and I'm not going to hire a crew either. I planned on doing an additional 250. Most lots here are 1/4 acre so with a Quickie 32 I should be able to easily hit 10-13 a day.

2. gringo gardener

gringo gardener LawnSite Member

btm line on direct adevertising across the board is closer to one half of 1% ... thats based on national avgs ... so i would invest the $50 if he was willing to introduce you to the clients and recomend yer services

3. WHIPPLE5.7

I already paid the $50 and that is just in return for the names and addresses. He not going around with me to talk to them. I still think I'll score atleast half of them.

4. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Why not send out a letter to each of those 75 accounts that explains you will be taking over the accounts. If the other LCO is going to give you their information you might also think about just calling them directly to explain you're the new LCO.

5. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

I would definitely contact them directly rather then impersonal door hangers....save those for hunting not for these potential customers. Call or knock on their door and let them know that you understand their old LCO has retired and you would like to give them a bid for their property. I wouldnt say you are taking over for the old LCO because if he went broke he may not have been the best businessman. JMO.

Michelle
    M&M Landscaping

6. WHIPPLE5.7

I don't know that I could really do that because he told them at the end of the 2007 season wasn't going to be back for 2008 and didn't really give them any options. I think a handful of them already has taken care of hiring someone else or will do it themselves. It would would seem alittle strange calling all of them out of the blue and saying I'm taking over when he cut the strings to them back in Oct. anyway.

7. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Wells is right. He thought enough of you to turn valued accounts over to you. Work that idea to your advantage. Tell them that you don't want them to experience any lapse in service or quality and I'll be tyou retain 3/4's of them.
    Hey, if anyone in Charlotte wants to sell me accounts for $50 or $100, we'd take 'em!!!
    Good luck!

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I dont do flyers. I go door to door and that is what I would do with his list. If you cant get their business face to face, a door hanger sure wont do it. Explain the situation and seal the deal.

9. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with others. I'd definitely knock on some doors. You can play it any way you wish regarding how you got their name (I wouldn't tell them I paid the guy, LOL). Could just say you are looking to expand your business and this guy gave you a list of former clients to help you out. If you get even half, you'll be approaching your goal of 50 additional clients. Good luck.

10. rmmllc

rmmllc LawnSite Member

Personal contact of some kind (letter, call, face-to-face) is definitely called for. I wouldn't pay $50 for a list just to send a flyer that looks like everyone in the neighborhood got one. Make it personal, like "mike (?) let me know he wasn't in the business anymore and gave me your number so that you wouldn't have to try to find another service this spring. Can I be of service?" Good buy though- I'd spend $50 for info like that.