Help me with this bid.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paulwade1, Apr 9, 2003.

1. paulwade1

paulwade1 LawnSite Member

This is my first seeding job and need some help.
    Customer has 13,668 sq ft lawn, half is beautiful centipede and the other half is back yard that is almost all broadleaf weeds. She wants me to seed, should I go all centipede or should I add fescue like her neighbors have?

How much would you bid to cut it? It's very simple not many obsticles.

She has about 1000 sq ft of flower beds, how much to pine bark it?

How do you charge for adding plants to them as well?

Please help, she wants the bid tonight.

I'm thinking about treating the back with 2-4-D, then seeding. Should I seed, let it germinate, then treat?

I'm new to this and need help.

2. paulwade1

Also, slit seed or aerate? Can you slit seed Centipede?

3. paulwade1

4. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

Boy I hope you get some help here paulwade. I'm more into the pesticide side of things but wonder why you would use 2,4-D? Being in Canada I'm not sure of your regs but I might suggest Round up and then giving it a few days before seeding. Seed type I'm not sure of, I hope someone else will help you there. I'm not sure everyone is to free with their help and suggestions here. I hope I'm proven wrong.

5. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I think people are reluctant to give advice because of the lack of basic knowledge on the part of paulwade1, no offense meant. It sounds like this is your first job ever. People here are more than helpfull here when it comes to detail questions.

6. windmill

windmill LawnSite Member

A lack of knowledge shouldn't be held againt anyone unless the knowledge is readily available. We all started with non and have only gained what we have with the help of others. I've been a PCO for more than 25 years and am still learning and still asking dumb questions because it's better than making stupid mistakes. (Costly in my bus.) paulwadwe1 I would think that if the neighbours' lawns look good and are standing up to the weather conditions and whatever traffic they are getting, logic would suggest that it would be a reasonable choice for your customer as well. Maybe it would be a good idea to give a little background so that your question might be followed up with advice, suggestions, and possible pitfalls. I think many here have problems with the new guys and their lack of proper credentials, licenses and insurances. (All a part of having a professional business).

7. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have no problem with questions from new guys. I ask many questions myself. My problem is new guys bidding on things that they do not have the knowledge to do. I have a general idea on how to install an irrigation system, but I would never bid on one. Same with a water garden. It is one thing to ask particulars, like if we would use 2-4-d or roundup or confront. It is another thing to ask about the entire job. Paulwade1 sounds like a retail customer getting a second opinion. He is not only asking how, but how much on every item. Just my 2 cents no offense meant.

8. paulwade1

This is my first year in the biz, but have been cutting grass through other jobs for a while. This is my first seeding job, other than my own yard.

Her front yard is perfect centipede, with the exception of about 100sf. The back is all weeds and very, very little centipede. One of her nieghbors has tall fescue and it's decent looking. The other has winter rye.

My debate is what to put in the back yard. Centipede....3 yrs to fully establish and costly, or bermuda which isn't as costly and is also a warm season grass or tall fescue, witch won't blend nicely with the centipede.........

I'm only looking for some suggestions here. Does aerating or slit seeding produce the best results?

Help out a man who needs it......

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I just sent an email to you helping with prices. But I did it based off the other thread you had. Not any info like this one. Email me a reply after you read it. I need to add a few things to it for you.