1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Help me with this customer delima.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PLM-1, Sep 13, 2007.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a PIA customer that wants something different from his wife and it all changes everyday. I have already done more than was planned but it was all ok'd. I'm in a situation now where there is a 15 gallon green japanese maple that they dont' feel is worth $315. He now wants all my invoices from the greenhouse to show how much ALL his plants cost. HOW DO I HANDLE THIS? His father in law basically runs their life and is a cause for most of the drama with this customer and I work for the F-I-L as well. So I'm sort of in a pickle. What would you do? I'm supposed to send him an email between 4 and 5 tonight regarding this.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I absolutely will not, un-un, no way in *** will show a client my cost! After they agreed on the quoted price that is what they pay. These folks are not trusting you. And what biz is it of the FIL? I would try to make them happy and then get away from them quickly if at all possible. Have you been paid by them yet? If so and you have done the already agreed work it might be time to cut them loose! There comes a time when no amount of BS is worth the money we are getting for a job. Good luck on this one. Had one client like this and after I quickly informed her I do not show the price and she could go get the rocks she wanted in trunk of her car, do the work herself she shut up. I still have her as a client today but was prepared to dump her if I needed to over this "show me price" BS.
  3. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

Some people just think everyone is out to rip them off. It stinks that you are in a tough position here due to the FIL issue...
  4. aklandscape

aklandscape LawnSite Member

You gave them a price upfront for the job and that's all there is to it. Tell him to go to a restaurant and ask them what they payfor the food their using. Tell him to go pound rocks.
  5. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

If you gave them a cost upfront, then there's no need to show how much you paid.
    If not then you could always "create" a fake invoice, photoshop it or something.
  6. PLM-1

You guys have said about what I was thinking. He got the work order with every price on it and even checked it all out. I then got a deposit check which paid for the plants. I told him the job would take about 6-8 days if everything went right. Of course NOTHING has gone right. I've basically renovated the irrigation system, turned myself into a miner breaking out all the rock and concrete around their pool which was supposed to be all black dirt to plant plants. AND put up with their bitching and arguing between each other. Here is what I was supposed to do:
    1- large japanese maple
    30-1 gallon hosta
    28 flats of annuals
    6- 5 gallon crepe myrtles
    40 cannas
    7-7gal japanese pencil holly
    4 elephant ears
    12- 1 gallon coneflowers
    2- 8' arborvitae
    23 yards of dark mulch
    hook up 144 emitters onto the existing drip line
    and a few misc. things

for a total of $12,870.
  7. Isobel

so the plants have been paid for already?
  8. PLM-1

Yes they have.
  9. Isobel

so i'm guessing if you don't show your receipts that he might not pay for the rest of the work--the labor that is.

that is tough.
    I assume you got these plants at wholesale prices, and then marked up. If that's the case you could try saying that giving up your receipts isn't your policy, but he can try to find this quality of plants at retail prices if he wants.
  10. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

I'll make you a fake invoice showing that you lost money on this job.