Help ME!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, May 6, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

I had i guy ask for a bid the other day. His yard is a half acre lot with about 70-80 trees in the backyard. the front isnt very large but the back is. I quoted him 65 dollars. Does this seem too much/too little/ just right? Just wanted an opinion

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If he has 80 trees on only a half acre lot there can't be any grass cause the trees would be side by side and taking up the whole 1/2 acre ;)

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What price did you quote him for handling all these leaves once it becomes Fall?

4. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Exactly...............

5. TeamFla

TeamFla LawnSite Member

Yup, or really little trees. Much too cheap though if you gotta line trim around 80 trees, no matter the size. Figure your time required.

6. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

the trees were only maybe 5-6 inches in diameter and yes i have realized i under bid the job. It took me 2 and a half hours to mow and trim around all the trees. And that was just the backyard. The front was too wet because he has new sod. I think im going to tell him i wil charge him what i quoted him just this time but next time it will be around 110 dollars. Thanks you guys were a big help.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind you really should not be trimming around those trees the trimmer can damage the trees. We use round-up around trees which reduces the time it take to trim. Then if the customer is conerned about the dead grass we convince him to pay for mulch. Can't believe anybody would leave 80 trees in a yard that size.

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he'll mow them into circles around the trees, for free. Like someone we know. :waving: You asked for that one. :laugh:
    But seriously,
    We all under bid once in a while. You are planning the right thing, charge what you agreed to, and tell him that you underbid, and need to charge more.
    If he doesn't take the new price, walk away, don't haggle.
    Crawdad

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Phew, 80 trees, I wish him luck. ;)

10. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 1/2 acre and well over 100 trees. There's grass everywhere. Here are some "before" pictures, from shortly after we moved in. The last owners didn't keep up with anything, so there was every type of "groundcover" you could imagine. It is slowly getting better.

Most of out trees are clustered in islands, so trimming isn't too bad. I'd do this place for $65.

DSC01297.jpg

DSC01298.jpg