Help Me

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by firststarkid, Aug 30, 2004.

1. firststarkid

firststarkid LawnSite Member

I have a question? I am bidding on a retaining wall that is 186' long by 2.5 ' foot tall. that is the easy part my question is there is an irrigation line under where the proposed wall will go should i tear that line out and make another line somewhere else or just extend the line out 5 foot. This sounds like a stupid question to me but maybe everybody can help

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

The line could be a main or a lateral, there also could be wires in the area , ask the customer who their irrigation contractor is and have them do the work . It could be easy or it could be hard .

3. firststarkid

It is a lateral line. The contractor that did the work is now out of biz. They really want me to do all the work.( they must be crazy for that comment they made). Just kidding

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless the line is above where the base course needs to be placed, I'd try to protect it as much as possible and work over it.

Get a piece of 4" PVC that is 2' long or so, cut it in half down the length, and turn it into a lintel of sorts.

HTH.

Dan

5. firststarkid

I just talk to the client and they just told me and get this they want the whole irrigation system ripped up a new one installed. HELP ME PLEASE.

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sub-contract it out.

7. firststarkid

I am pretty good at doin irrigation. My quiestion is what is the best way to tear out an existing system. And how much should be achrged for ripping 3698ft of piping out of the ground?

8. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Maybe some of the existing system could be reused? If the mainlines are in ok places, etc?

9. firststarkid

She wants the line in a different completly place i guess they are getting ready to build detached garage and bigger driveway.

10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't worry about tearing it out. Just install the new system and the old system would effectively be "abandoned".

By the time you tore the old system out and installed the new system, the yard would be completely torn up. You'll probably still have some patching to do, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Granted, I'm not an irrigation guy (perhaps ask over on the irrigation forum?), but there's a chance you'll pull old pipe up when you are pulling new pipe in. Or, you may just cut through it, I dunno.

I'd just install a new system and not worry too much about the old. Leave it and take out whatever comes up when you put in the new system.

Dan