HELP!! Measuring lots on the Internet???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Ric, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Goilawn.com is no longer a free site. I have been ask to bid a Common ground vacant lot Fire Ant Control job. All I have to go on at this point is, it takes 6 hour to mow with a 60" Grass Hopper. If I have to pay $ 3.00 a lot plus $ 10.00 user fee it will be a very expensive Bid cost. I know the Neighborhood and hopefully can get Sq ft off of a Internet Mapping Measuring program.

2. Pythium

Pythium LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

ya lazy beeotch get off your arse and start walking...

Google earth has a measuring device as well for linear aps. no area calculations.

many hand held GPS receivers will calculate area as well so all you'd have to do is walk the perimeter. or if you have a PG or riding mower. hope on and ride...

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pythium

Thanks it work great both fast and easy. It took me about 10 minutes to Mark off and add up 11 different areas for a total of just under 26 acres. I have been ask to bid Fire Ant Control on this land. Of course on that much land they want a cheap price and I might not make it into the Ball Park because I would rather not bid cheap and lose money. Even with my Boom Sprayer some one is bound to under cut me. But I have to put in a realistic Courtesy bid if I want this management company to every ask me for a bid again.

Marc

Talk about the pot calling the Kettle Black. Your Lazy arse hasn't been out of your air conditioned office all summer long except to get a cold beer. You haven't hit a lick at a snake in the past 10 years and you are half my age. Careful or I will Tell everyone on Lawnsite you play with toy RC sail boats like a 12 year old,

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Does your county not have a plat database online? Our does and it has an area measuring tool.

6. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Google does have an area app. Wish Bing maps did, they are closer map views in many localities.

Some have stopped due to privacy issues.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

8. Snapper12

Snapper12 LawnSite Senior Member
    from CE MO

Thanks for the other links guys... goilawn is rip off.

9. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure anyone is ripping you off, but no matter which program, just how you would measure anything under trees?

Neal

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with you Neal. In Rics case it may be OK. However, I got a new customer because he called me for an estimate after receiving an estimate using online calculators from a very large competitor of mine over the phone. Turns out he had 2 huge Willow Oak trees(6ft dia) on the border of his property that he had lanscaped almost out to the drip line with azalea beds. I suppose you can't see these from "outer space". Imagine that! I showed up with a measuring wheel. I measured 19k of "turf area". There calcs were over 5k more than mine. He told me he appreciated my "personal touch", and after a few minutes of conversation, we both had a chuckle after figuring out the reason for the variance in total ft sq of turf.